No announcement yet.

Fedora Looks To Overhaul Its Community Outreach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly what do the people at Fedora expect, of course if you go out and hire people with no strong interest nor the intelligence for the job, they are going to struggle. I'm dealing with this non sense at work right now and it is just liberal ignorance that believes everybody is born with the same innate abilities. If you are going to pursue proactive discrimination, at the very least hire people that one; have an interest and two; have demonstrated that they have the intelligence to succeed. There are plenty of people out there with potential, it really serves no purpose to go out an hire idiots to try to prove some nonsense about everybody can do "this". This being the job flavour of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
      I know that there are many haters for Red Hat, but so far when they have announced or started big initiatives with Fedora, they have delivered.
      The modules initiative was a pretty big failure for Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post
        Can anybody please explain to me what they mean by "Red Hat sponsored"? Are Fedora developers on RH's payroll? Or is RH simply a major donor and contributor to an independent Fedora project?
        As of 2015, around 35% of Fedora contributors were Red Hat employees (source). That being said, "Red Hat is the primary sponsor of Fedora Project and provides hosting, engineering and other resources. It has several hundred active developers participating and leading the project in different ways in coordination with the volunteer community members." Red Hat owns the Fedora trademarks "on behalf of the entire Fedora community", and the Fedora Project doesn't exist as a separate legal entity. Project governance is laid out in the Fedora Council Charter.
        Last edited by eidolon; 12 January 2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I wonder what was in that improperly removed 4th column 🤔
          There is no removed column. That's a double line. The table is a Logic Model, and the double line represents the break between things on the left that you have direct influence over and things on the right which you expect to (or intend to, or hope will) happen if you execute the things on the left side well.

Comment

Here's slides from a talk I gave about the format in 2015: https://mattdm.org/fedora/2015linuxc...-to-Action.pdf

Comment

Thank you for the answer eidolon !

Comment

Originally posted by mattdm View Post

There is no removed column. That's a double line. The table is a Logic Model, and the double line represents the break between things on the left that you have direct influence over and things on the right which you expect to (or intend to, or hope will) happen if you execute the things on the left side well.
                Then the Logic Model is a flawed design. It looks like a missing column from an auto-format spreadsheet. My literal first thought was someone deleted text and, because it auto-formatted into a very small column, that person didn't see the small column left to remove it. I tend to miss little things like that if I've been zoned out on a project for a while and thought that might have been what happened here. A big/bold line, different colored lines; anything other than what appears to be an empty table formatting issue, would have been better visual indicators of "we're hoping this results in that".

I'm just saying that nothing about that table's formatting inherently made me think that it was doing what you were describing.

But that could be because I had a hard time reading it in general. It's like someone specifically made that table with a color scheme and layout just to trigger my dyslexia. Activities/Outputs and Outcomes/Impact each become a fustercluck so I'm left with just an Inputs column that I can actually read (I had to drag a resized window around to read the rest of it).

Jokingly: What about cultures that read from Right to Left? Are they just going to assume the effect precedes the cause? The Logic Model is clearly biased for Left to Right justification cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdm View Post
                  Here's slides from a talk I gave about the format in 2015: https://mattdm.org/fedora/2015linuxc...-to-Action.pdf
                  To add to my post above, the formatting of the one on page 21 of that looks a lot more clear and concise as to what is going on due to the different colored headers. IMHO, it would still be easier to get what's going on if those were sub-headers under Cause and Effect headers.

If one doesn't know of the Logic Model format going in, like me now, then placing Cause/Effect (or whatever is relevant for the columns at hand) over their relevant sub-headers more clearly states what the columns represent and what is going on. I think that would be better than assuming people will know that an empty column is the dividing line between cause and effect. When not in ASCII form like on page 9, it looks like someone F'd up a spreadsheet.

Comment

Huh, and here I thought the main forms of outreach on Linux were just telling frustrated bug reporters on bugzilla that it's open source and to STFU and send patches

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                      The modules initiative was a pretty big failure for Fedora.
                      The concept of modules has some appeal. But in practice for a leading edge distro such as Fedora (where you expect to get and be running the latest/greatest in the next release in no more than six months), it's usefulness is very limited (for something like RHEL, where you keep the same base packaged version for a long long time it makes a lot more sense to want a way to get newer packaged versions).

Comment

Working...
                      X