Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook, Twitter Proposing CentOS Hyperscale SIG With Newer Packages + Other Changes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Facebook, Twitter Proposing CentOS Hyperscale SIG With Newer Packages + Other Changes

    Phoronix: Facebook, Twitter Proposing CentOS Hyperscale SIG With Newer Packages + Other Changes

    Adding to the changes abound at CentOS beyond CentOS 8 going EOL at year's end to focus instead on CentOS Stream feeding into the future RHEL, the likes of Facebook and Twitter are now proposing a Hyperscale special interest group for this RHEL-based platform...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Hyperscale-SIG

  • #2
    And just like that, CentOS Stream nabbed three giant users who actually have an interest in the distribution and are actively contributing to it.

    Now where are all the freeloaders wailing about how CentOS becoming CentOS Stream is the nail in its coffin?

    Comment


    • #3
      Currently following CentOS news from the distance only, I must have misunderstood something. I thought CentOS is slightly downstream of RHEL, and getting replaced with CentOS Stream which will be upstream of RHEL. However following the link to the SIG page, it sounds like CentOS is upstream of CentOS Stream?

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd rather not get involved in krystalnacht corporations. And judging by their stock price drops, others aren't fond of it either.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
          I'd rather not get involved in krystalnacht corporations. And judging by their stock price drops, others aren't fond of it either.
          Wtf is wrong here today?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 9Strike View Post

            Wtf is wrong here today?
            Who knows...or cares?

            Comment


            • #7
              The faster-moving package backports is perhaps the most interesting aspect of this SIG for hyperscalers. For select packages the new versions would be more quickly packaged and available to CentOS users. For this, the SIG would be looking to host one or more package repositories to provide the updated packages for those interested.
              I don't understand this part. Isn't this exactly what Modules are for? https://docs.centos.org/en-US/8-docs...on-to-modules/

              Why setting up an own repository?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cr0ydon View Post

                I don't understand this part. Isn't this exactly what Modules are for? https://docs.centos.org/en-US/8-docs...on-to-modules/

                Why setting up an own repository?
                Because AppStream modules are like application bundles, and user may not need every single application offered in a module?

                Generally, I think it's a good thing. The idea of a more modern CentOS that sits between Fedora and RHEL is definitely attractive. I am hoping against hope that Facebook, Twitter and Verizon have some interest in introducing desktop computing elements in this repository so that I can use it as a desktop distribution as an alternative to Fedora.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  And just like that, CentOS Stream nabbed three giant users who actually have an interest in the distribution and are actively contributing to it.
                  Now where are all the freeloaders wailing about how CentOS becoming CentOS Stream is the nail in its coffin?
                  Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  I am hoping against hope that Facebook, Twitter and Verizon have some interest in introducing desktop computing elements in this repository so that I can use it as a desktop distribution as an alternative to Fedora.
                  Haha, so first you cheered when desktop users were kicked to the curb... and now you expect the cloud extortionists to give a damn about you and focus their efforts on building a little desktop environment for consumers to use?

                  You can't have your cake and eat it. These guys only focus in extracting money from people. They will never focus on a desktop environment to make people happy. They will likely make an awesome OS... but it will primarily CLI only. You had better get adapting

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Maybe ffmpeg will be added lol.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X