Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    X is dead.
    Who's X? X is dead baby, X is dead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lL1ypndnWA) [in Australian English "zed" is a near neighbour to X in the alphabet]

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
      So does this allow X apps to run under a Wayland environment or Wayland apps under X...or am I completely off the page? Please note that this is a serious question, and I am not trying to flan any flames here.
      Basically, XWayland is the X server component for running X11 apps under a Wayland desktop, just like there are X servers for Windows, or MacOS desktops... all of which are separate from the one that runs directly on hardware, which is the one traditionally used for a Linux X11 environment. XWayland is used by pretty much all Wayland desktops - but the keyword here is "standalone". Previously the XWayland code was closely tied to the old XServer, but they've been working to separate them, so they can be developed and distributed independently... which is important, since the latter is essentially unmaintained at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        X is dead.
        actually no.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
          Whats wrong with this? Once the new debian release is out in a few months, it will be more up to date that Ubuntu LTS.
          For a few months anyway*

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

Do you know what is "SID"?
            Suddenly Inconsistent Debian?

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post

For a few months anyway*
              As next ubuntu LTS is in 2022, for a year. Ubuntu LTS and Debian will leapfrog each other.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

As next ubuntu LTS is in 2022, for a year. Ubuntu LTS and Debian will leapfrog each other.
                My bad, I assumed this was about distro releases in general and completely missed the LTS part.
                How's the current situation with regular stable/testing/sid branches compared to semi-yearly releases like that of Ubuntu though?
                For desktop use cases, LTS releases are, IMHO, a cancer to be avoided at all costs and package pinning hasn't really worked out for me in the past.

Comment

How's the current situation with regular stable/testing/sid branches compared to semi-yearly releases like that of Ubuntu though?
                  For desktop use cases, LTS releases are, IMHO, a cancer to be avoided at all costs and package pinning hasn't really worked out for me in the past.
                  LTS has been good for me at least. As Ubuntu transition more towards snap packages, the package pinning issue will become less of a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post

LTS has been good for me at least. As Ubuntu transition more towards snap packages, the package pinning issue will become less of a concern.
                    This is irrelevant though. I was specifically asking about Debian's branches.

Comment

This is irrelevant though. I was specifically asking about Debian's branches.
                      I addressed the package pinning issue which as far as I can tell will never be a resolved issue

Comment

Working...
                      X