Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 34 Looking To Employ Btrfs Zstd Transparent Compression By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    Last time when I was reading this topic, the situation was:
    This option does compress everything, but zstd is well optimized for incompressible data, while btrfs's heuristics simply suck.
    btrfs' heuristics will work perfectly fine for movie files for example, which probably takes care of most of incompressible data

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      I'm curious your choice of compression level. Default is 3, why go with 1? I keep default at 3 for home, 9 for archive arrays. ZSTD goes from 1 to 15 (if you set at 0, it's 3).
      even 1 is slower than no compression. 3 is much slower

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
        Greetings from Fedora 33 running ext4 on bare partitions (no LVM). Maybe someday I'll change. Sometimes you just wanna K.I.S.S., you know? Just me?
        yes, it's just you who thinks that guessing in what proportion to split root and home partitions is simple. in reality it's impossible

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post
          For me, the use of BTRFS on my workstation is something I really avoid. For my builds, the times are very inconsistent (like 2 to 3 times as long), and my test databases will take FOREVER to load.
          it's not very smart to keep database in cow file. btrfs allows you to mark files/subtrees nocow.

Comment

Originally posted by Yalok View Post
            Wonder which fs is faster in disk benchmarks on fedora 33, ext4 or btrfs
            on any os btrfs is significantly faster in real usecases(like reallocation of space between partitions)

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
              I'm curious your choice of compression level. Default is 3, why go with 1? I keep default at 3 for home, 9 for archive arrays. ZSTD goes from 1 to 15 (if you set at 0, it's 3).
              Why not? “1” is a lonely number, but I am #1, so...

I figured I would start with “1”, see if Safari was snappier, and go from there. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                Greetings from Fedora 33 running ext4 on bare partitions (no LVM). Maybe someday I'll change. Sometimes you just wanna K.I.S.S., you know? Just me?
                It's not just you. I do like LVM sometimes. But my most favorite configuration is one big partition with everything in it. Except for boot and swap, of course.

I used to keep /home separate. But btrfs subvolumes are working pretty well for me. And for reinstallation purposes I have full backups on the NAS so if I had to repartition and format a drive I would just recover it from the backup. And on the NAS I did separate / and /data (and /data/home, this is where the subvolumes come in) because the HDD array is made of multiple drives and is very large.

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post

BIOS i use
                  That's is the problem. If you use uefi, you can't get any problem. 😉
                  Last edited by Mario Junior; 05 January 2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

That's is the problem. If you use uefi, you can't get anny problem. 😉
                    yep, i see... but i think the real problem is their implementation, they could do smarter job for this "corner case"...

Comment

Working...
                    X