Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 34 Looking To Employ Btrfs Zstd Transparent Compression By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Workstation 34 Looking To Employ Btrfs Zstd Transparent Compression By Default

Phoronix: Fedora Workstation 34 Looking To Employ Btrfs Zstd Transparent Compression By Default

Fedora Workstation 33 successfully switched over from EXT4 to using Btrfs as its default file-system. Now with Fedora 34 due out in the spring we are seeing Fedora beginning to make use of more features offered by Btrfs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

in openSuse when i try to use zstd compression GRUB cannot boot it... they said it was due to old GRUB but i have the similar issue with tumbleweed as well...

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
      in openSuse when i try to use zstd compression GRUB cannot boot it... they said it was due to old GRUB but i have the similar issue with tumbleweed as well...
      They patched grub to disable zstd support for i386.
      Yup, dumb as hell.

Comment

I'm not a Fedora user so this is as good of a bug report as y'all are gonna get from me:

Code:
        mount -o [B]compress[/B]=zstd:1
        should be
        Code:
        mount -o [B]compress-force[/B]=zstd:1
        "compress-force" makes BTRFS use Zstd's compression check algorithm when determining whether to compress a file or not and is more efficient than what BTRFS uses by default when just "compress" is used.

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
          Are you using bios or efi?

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Are you using bios or efi?
            BIOS i use

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              I'm not a Fedora user so this is as good of a bug report as y'all are gonna get from me:

Code:
              should be
              Code:
              "compress-force" makes BTRFS use Zstd's compression check algorithm when determining whether to compress a file or not and is more efficient than what BTRFS uses by default when just "compress" is used.
              Interesting - do you have any sources/numbers that show it's better? And do you know about a bug report anywhere? Sounds like something that should get addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Code:
                should be
                Code:
                I haven't switched from F32 and not really worked with BTRFS in general yet, but that option sounds backwards? In my head "compress-force" implies that files are compressed no matter what.

Comment

interesting... all my systems were x64,,,

Comment

Tumbleweed installer defaults to a GPT with a BIOS BOOT Partition of 8 MiB, plenty space to bring in zstd support. The reason was for compatibility reasons, ie: people with MBR disks with no BIOS BOOT Partition. I have old PCs with BIOS from 2011 that can boot GPT disks without problems.

Instead of warning users and/or make a special package for them, they just straight disabled it. I had to manually remove that patch and rebuild the grub RPM, argh!

EDIT: Didn't Arch made the same decision?

Comment

Working...
                    X