Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linspire 10 Beta Released - Claims To Be #1 Linux Distro For New/Intermediate/Power Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    I remember Linspire... ah, in its originally incarnation (Lindows) my at-the-time local supermarket was actually selling PCs with it as the OS! That changed quickly when Microsoft dropped the hammer on the name "Lindows". That site looks terrible, though.

The only modern successor I can think of that did it quite as blatantly as Lindows did is Linuxfx - which is well-skinned enough that at first glance you could mistake it for Windows 10. Open the Start menu though and that is broken quickly enough.
    Don't forget about Linux XP, which I briefly used back in the day (the wiki says only available in Russian, but I used it in English just fine): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_XP

In fact, I still have a copy of their artwork (GTK 2 themes, wallpapers, etc.) and sounds.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 23 December 2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I got this running in a virtual machine:

Holey fuck. This is probably the most half assed Xubuntu fork there is.

Just use Xubuntu, and get support from canonical. I am not sure what these people offer over Canonical.

Its just a shitty Xubuntu fork, that still has Xubuntu repos.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Don't forget about Linux XP, which I briefly used back in the day (the wiki says only available in Russian, but I used it in English just fine): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_XP

In fact, I still have a copy of their artwork (GTK 2 themes, wallpapers, etc.) and sounds.
        Ylmf OS also. When the project changed its name to StartOS, it moved on from the XP look. XPQ4 is still active (the live CD is based on Q4OS). Undoubtedly there are several XP themes for different DEs out there, if anyone has grandparents insistent on a familiar look for their desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The OpenMandriva group should buy the Mandriva trademark before it's too late...
          They may have, I'm not certain. I do believe the potential hazard of using a name based on a dying company was pointed out (by Per Øyvind Karlsen I believe, although I may be misremembering) when the fork was being formed and was in the process of settling on a name, and it was clear that Mandriva S.A. was in extremis.

Hopefully Ian Murdock's Progeny Linux Systems/Progeny Componentized Linux is left in peace. Unless there is some clear lineal relationship (e.g. Mandriva → OpenMandriva), I wish projects would forge their own identities rather than repurposing the banners of fallen projects (e.g. Linspire) for the purpose of trading on name recognition (however limited it might be) earned by the previous projects.
          Last edited by eidolon; 23 December 2020, 11:08 PM.

Comment

As Linspire is selling subscriptions I would really like to know how successful this model is. But it seems they still have got enough fans to survive this way.

Comment

The whole thing is a part-time project by a PC repair shop operating out of a closet. I would pay them no heed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Even more so than Debian's website?
                Hey now ! Debian added a .jpg to it's home page ! Like a woman wearing a garbage bag, it's what's inside that counts !

Comment

Working...
                X