Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linspire 10 Beta Released - Claims To Be #1 Linux Distro For New/Intermediate/Power Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eidolon
    replied
    Slow news day?

This Linspire isn't exactly a direct descendant of the Linspire of old; this is really Linspire in name only (i.e. he purchased the trademarks), just like his previous distro was Black Lab Linux in name only (he purchased the trademarks from Fixstars).

He also acquired the Xandros and Dreamlinux trademarks. Maybe he'll snap up Yoper's trademarks as well, or maybe White Box, Slamd64, or one of the many other distributions that have fallen by the wayside over the decades. Hey, the Mandriva, Conectiva, and Lycoris trademarks might be available for purchase. That might put OpenMandriva in awkward position if someone is marketing a "Mandriva Linux" Ubuntu derivative.

The current Linspire is just PC/OS, OS4 Linux, Amiga OpenLinux (that one died a crib death, as he hadn't acquired rights to the Amiga branding), and Black Lab Linux by yet a different name. At one time he was also going to release a distro named PC-UX (I suspect he ran into trademark issues), and a distribution named Ami/LX.

This is the same guy who threatened Ladislav Bodnar (#55), said he was going to continue development of Remastersys, as well as contribute to Amiga ecosystem development. His behavior comes off as pathological, and low effort capitalism at its finest.
    Last edited by eidolon; 23 December 2020, 12:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• re:fi.64
    replied
    new, intermediate and power users
    So...everyone.

Leave a comment:

• DKJones
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Even more so than Debian's website?
    Hahaha!

Leave a comment:

• archkde
    replied
    Native UEFI booting support as a new feature in 2020, seriously?

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied
    You are all wrong . This distro is not meant to compete with Linux. If they can get to steal some Windows users why not? And also in the same tame, make some money best proof that Linux it's profitable . Kudos to them.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Finally, a distro we can all agree to hate. Ubuntu’s held the title for far too long. Suck it, Linspire!

Leave a comment:

• marccollin
    replied
    that remember me corel inux in 2000

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cynic View Post
    on the other side, their website is actually really really old-fashioned and they need to fix it, IMHO.
    Even more so than Debian's website?

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

This really looks like one guy's pet project, from what I see on that site.
    Yup, every expense spared too by hosting the site on Blogger while expecting you to cough up cash.

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied
    "Along with updated branding and design we have made significant advancements that once again proves - if there was ever any doubt - Linspire is the number one Linux distribution for new, intermediate and power users."

Nope, there was never any doubt at all.

This really looks like one guy's pet project, from what I see on that site.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X