No announcement yet.

Debian Working To Modernize Its Website, Rolls Out New Homepage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Debian project's current website has arguably a rather dated look and feel
    I believe they call it 'Stable'

Comment

Yesterday I downloaded a legacy release of Debian. I clicked around on their website for several minutes. Then I gave up and just googled it. First hit was what I was looking for. I am missing a download page where *all* downloads are listed: Current release, LTS release, legacy releases, CD and DVD images, all architectures, torrent and direct download and hashes. That page should be easy to find (without google) with a maximum of two clicks from the home page.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        This is the peak of stupidity. Debian is an operating system distribution and not a community, no matter how people want to spin it. Why the hell should the front page be split between the distribution and the team?

I don't care about the people behind the Debian distribution and their stories as long as they are not discriminated against and deliver Debian releases as they are expected to.
        For me Debian is a community around a project that is the OS, and this is the only reason why I use Debian. I don't care particularly about each individual life but I care about the idea of community and groups of people working together toward a common goal and good, based on respect and cooperation in the values of the free software as in freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
          The debian website is still a mess. For instance most people need firmware files in order to get their pc fully operational. But it's almost impossible to find the proper download page from the start page. e.g. https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/u...ding-firmware/
          I concur!
          Maybe two installers would be in order. One non-free where most things are installed and a non free where it just works and you can install steam with a click and not have to try and install third party graphics, network and audio card drivers and 32 bit architecture.
          This is part of what I had to do last time I did a fresh install.
          add main contrib non-free to repository
          enable 32 bit architecture
          sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
          install nvidia-detect and run from terminal, install recomended driver
          install steam from debian repository
          enable sound card spdif out alsamixer tab to spdif and press m to unmute
          Then get my ten year old printer working and don't even get me started on getting my space mouse working.
          Why the printer was not in the default printers is beyond me? They did have my old 9 pin printer that I threw in the trash 30 years ago though.

Comment

Working...
          X