Fedora 34 Gets Sign-Off For Trying To Default To PipeWire For Audio Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 34 Gets Sign-Off For Trying To Default To PipeWire For Audio Needs

Phoronix: Fedora 34 Gets Sign-Off For Trying To Default To PipeWire For Audio Needs

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) has signed off on the proposal for defaulting to PipeWire with Fedora 34 due out next spring...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How would it work for some games and other programs that are built against PulseAudio? And are common DEs supporting PipeWire now, like for example KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      How would it work for some games and other programs that are built against PulseAudio? And are common DEs supporting PipeWire now, like for example KDE?
      I can't answer for DEs but for programs, AFAIK PireWire provides PulseAudio compatibility and thus would work flawlessly with PulseAudio-only software (maybe with a few config tweaks).

Comment

The Pipewire package comes with a replacement daemon for the PulseAudio server. Programs that use the PulseAudio client library can connect to that daemon without noticing the change. Even DE tools like pavucontrol work like normal.
        Last edited by Ropid; 14 December 2020, 02:40 AM.

Comment

KDE Neon already ships with pipewire (but only is used for a narrow scope).
          IIRC there is more work to get the config going with Jack, Pulseaudio "just works"

I wonder how it'll go with things like my SteelSeries Arctis5 headset that present "Game" and "Chat" audio sinks

Comment

Originally posted by Ropid View Post
            Even DE tools like pavucontrol work like normal.
            Shouldn't DEs be rewritten though to work with it directly for less code clutter? If that's the new standard that is.

Comment

The issue I have, is there are still no clear step-by-step instructions on how to test the latest pipewire on F33.

I have done some testing, and reported issues months ago, when testing pipewire was just a matter of creating some symlinks. But now there are actual package conflicts, and a simple "dnf swap" does not take care of them.

e.g.
              Code:
              sudo dnf swap pulseaudio pipewire-pulseaudio --allowerasing
              Last metadata expiration check: 1:20:27 ago on Mon 14 Dec 2020 06:57:53 CET.
              Error:
              Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: gnome-shell
              (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)
              This issue has existed for weeks, and the upstream developers are aware of the issue but have not provided a solution.

Comment

This is going to suck, I just know it. Switching to PipeWire with no transitional phase leaves no time to fix any of the issues you tend to only find when there's a significant rollout. It's nice that PipeWire works for a few developers and early adopters, but that doesn't tell much about the user base at large. And the issue Rob72 points out that developers just don't appear to care all that much... sigh.

Besides, wasn't PipeWire still severly lacking in some areas, like Bluetooth support?

Comment

I've switched to pipewire-pulse on my laptop running Manjaro. So far so good. It's nothing as huge and buggy as wayland and is backwards compatible with pulseaudio so it just works indeed. The setup is just the 2 laptop speakers, that helps.
                  I'll stick to pulseaudio on my desktop (Ubuntu) for now though as it is connected to an AV receiver for 5.1 (and passing video through to TV). I know from experience it is never as straightforward as laptop speakers. With trickier setups, I would advise to wait another 6 monts for pipewire to mature before taking the leap.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                    I wonder how it'll go with things like my SteelSeries Arctis5 headset that present "Game" and "Chat" audio sinks
                    Acorrding to their wiki and commit history. They are ".. using the exact same pulseaudio code and config files to set up devices and mixers, ports and jack detection. There should not be any difference between PipeWire and PulseAudio on how devices are detected and controlled."

Comment

Working...
                    X