No announcement yet.

Oracle Linux Looking To Attract CentOS Users Looking For Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello poor, little, distraught CentOS users, oh don't you worry, we're here to help you, come, we got Oracle Linux for you!

Comment

Comment

but what if the frog is Pepe?

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
          I was concerned about resources as well, but, judging by the interest Rocky has got in just a few days I guess they'll have enough resources to succeed.

For now....yes, but I have a sneaking suspicion that either they will sooner rebase themselves off of CentOS Stream anyway, or simply can't handle the pressure. I'm not sure if giving the distribution a year will give it any sort of validation since it will have to last a lot longer than that, and CentOS will by virtue of Red Hat still needing it and having the funds to support it.

I'll be honest this reminds me when the Red Hat Linux distribution disappeared, there were several accusations made at the time, users were mad.... Oh and two little distributions were born at that time, Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's been years, these two distributions are still here. Fedora isn't exactly beta for RHEL, not completely and not to the descriptions of the several accusations made at the time. Several community only distros that based themselves on RHL basically died out, since Fedora did what they did only with much more organization and several other community dynamics that turned out to be better.
          I have no idea how this turns out, but if history's any guide....

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

what is broken, as as it is open source you could attach a patch to fix it ;-)
            No edit or github link gives it that user unfriendly vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

No edit or github link gives it that user unfriendly vibe.
              which websites have edit links and since when is GitHub necessary to send a patch. Still not a single world what should be the issue ;-)

Comment

I enjoyed reading this blog post from Scott McCarty, PM at Red Hat for containers, he provides some interesting facts on what happened to CentOS.

http://crunchtools.com/before-you-get-mad-about-the-centos-stream-change-think-about/

I'm not saying that stopping CentOS development is a good thing, and I think Rocky will succeed if there is real community behind it, but having a distro like CentOS Stream where partners like Oracle, AWS, Rocky and many others can contribute rather than waiting in the current RHEL 'blackbox' model is a very good thing for everyone, even for Rocky users. Let's see if Oracle and others contribute or just consume what Red Hat and the community do.

Also, CentOS Stream being checked twice as Carl George states https://twitter.com/carlwgeorge/stat...01629405241346 destroys the 'beta' or 'unstable' part of CentOS Stream.

I'll keep my CentOS systems for a while and move to CS during 2021.

Comment

which websites have edit links[?]...
                  Off the top of my headThere are likely more but the point is that there is no easy way to contribute the the site code.

since when is GitHub necessary to send a patch
                  No one said it was, it's just more covenant for everyone (Ideals aside).
                  Anyway that's a bit of a tangent from "edit or github link".

Still not a single world what should be the issue ;-)
                  That's nonsensical but we are only human so I'll repeat myself with some elaboration;
                  https://t2sde.org could be improved by
                  • Fixing mobile CSS (if you don't have a mobile, use either Firefox or Chromium will show you the issue with inspect>responsive>phone)
                  • Making it clear where to contribute to the website code (http://bugs.t2-project.org/ is missing from the DNS ... a spider should be used to regularly check the site for broken links)

I'm just providing constructive criticism; that it's impossible (or needlessly convoluted) to make code contributions to t2sde.org.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                    I can see a lot of people prematurely jumping ship - especially as Centos is around until end of 2021 atleast.
                    Prematurely? You know how long it takes businesses and others that value absolute rock-solidness to migrate? A year isn't nearly enough to finish migrating, so the sooner they start, the shorter they have to rely on expensive extended support after regular support ends.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

Broken CSS on mobile gives it that unprofessional vibe.
                      On my laptop, it looks off as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X