Oracle Linux Looking To Attract CentOS Users Looking For Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Oracle is trying to attract anything that moves these days. Their problem is people have wised up and are going any other direction now.
    For sure, very much the truth. Their Database, Weblogic, SOA, etc. all are licensed per cpu core. If you were previously paying $250k per year to Oracle for licensing, and you just replaced your old quad core servers with new 16 core servers, guess what? Your $250k per year in Oracle licensing is now $1M per year. Ask me how I know.

And it's worse if you're doing virtualization - if you have a hypervisor with 16 cores, running a 4-core VM with the Oracle products, you pay Oracle for 16 cores. Even though the VM only has 4. That's right, Oracle makes you pay for all physical cores in the box, even if you're not using them. Guess this is how Larry keeps that Americas Cup yacht afloat.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 12 December 2020, 10:12 PM.

Comment

RH should just offer a totally free (as in CentOS) self-supported version of RHEL themselves. It's a "loss leader" to get people into their ecosystem who don't have $$ (or need) for a sub.

Besides using RHEL where I work (university), I use CentOS on my NAS, but also have an RHEL sub for my home workstation. I bought that specifically to support everything RH does for Linux. But I'm no fan of this move - it takes away flexibility and makes it feel like closed source when you need to buy a license for everything. But Oracle? They're pure takers. No thanks. I'd consider switching to some other non-RHEL distro, hoping they'd hire a bunch of Linux dev's and take RH's place, but also keep it more community oriented than this IBM strategy is turning out to be.

I'm still mad about RH pushing Gnome and dropping KDE, and I had to fight against RHEL to get regular actual Docker on my workstation, and Ubuntu having ZFS support makes it pretty appealing for my NAS box.
      Last edited by hubick; 12 December 2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Red Hat does offer RHEL for free for some usecases and they plan to add more in the spring.

Centos Stream announcement however has been wrong to cause this much concern. The only different between it and normal Centos should be that updates are released when ready instead of being artificially limited to the next November/May release. They are not expecting those updates to be any lower in quality.

From the Fedora devel mailing list it seems it is acknowledged that calling it a rolling release is a mistake. I would compare its stability to Ubuntu LTS (unless Ubuntu hold back updates other than hardware enablement to be on a semi annual basis).

There are a lot of panicked users out there who need to make a decision now instead of waiting til the end of next year when they will be able to understand what is actually on offer.

There are also a lot of people spreading FUD (some Red Hat haters, others Click Baters or people shilling for alternatives).

By the end of next year if Centos Stream isnt what people want, there will be alternatives. I would suggest Rocky Linux and CloudLinux as the better alternatives as opposed to Oracle.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
          Red Hat does offer RHEL for free for some usecases and they plan to add more in the spring.
          Not true. Red Hat offers 1-year RHEL subscriptions at no cost under their developer program. After one year, you have to renew. It's zero cost - today. Unlike a community project like CentOS, RH is free to halt the zero cost RHEL developer subscriptions at any point. Not to mention the "developer" terms and conditions - you cannot run a production business environment with it. With CentOS, you could.

We've been down this road before. DEC used to offer OpenVMS hobbyist licenses at no cost. After being acquired by Compaq, they stopped that program without warning. Hobbyists complained loudly, but in the end, nothing came of it.

The whole point of CentOS was to have a stable enterprise grade server OS that was free and Free, without any overlords calling the shots when it comes to licensing or terms and conditions. Now we know it was a mistake to allow RH to acquire/control the CentOS project.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            Oracle = EVIL
            So, kind of like RedHat, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Fixed.
              To be fair when it was holding that anti ATI poster, the ATI FGLRX was in fact even worse than the Nvidia driver, and the only open source drivers were reverse engineered.

Also oracle has an extremely long history of being the worst shitty evil company you can imagine.

Comment

Remembering when Oracle was the one that was going to stab you in the back....

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  To be fair when it was holding that anti ATI poster, the ATI FGLRX was in fact even worse than the Nvidia driver, and the only open source drivers were reverse engineered.
                  Not exactly - ATI had been supporting open source driver development since the late '90's. We stopped briefly between ~2004 and 2007, partly because of increased DRM-related risk and partly because we had inherited a closed source Linux driver when we acquired FireGL and were trying to use that as a one-size-fits-all Linux driver.

It turned out that the FireGL driver was a poor fit for consumer users, so when AMD bought us and was able to mitigate some of the DRM-related risk by having a separate (and larger) CPU revenue stream we jumped at the chance to restart open source driver support.

For the record we were not the ones who called the campus police on RMS that day
                  Test signature

Comment

And you guys think Oracle won't do to Linux -exactly- what they did to Solaris, Java, Virtualbox, OpenOffice, MySQL, etc, etc, etc.... My point is they have a long history of killing open source projects and making them proprietary....

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      Now we know it was a mistake to allow RH to acquire/control the CentOS project.
                      We still don't. Besides others are/were not prevented from doing the same. They only stopped because Centos was so good. If Stream isnt, they will pick up the slack.

But I suspect Stream will be good enough. Like any other EL or LTS OS with their level of updates.

People are reading too much into the word rolling. It is never intended to become the next Arch or even Fedora.

The only risk is ISV's but if their software doesnt work on it, it is due to break within 6 months anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X