CentOS 8 Ending Next Year To Focus Shift On CentOS Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

That's not what is going to happen, by what can be read in the blog CentOS Stream X will just become kind of Debian Unstable of RHEL X, this is: if you're running CentOS Stream 8 now you will get the updates from the next RHEL point release (IE: 8.4) ahead of RHEL itself.

This means that you get to be the beta tester of the packages on the next RHEL point release if you run CentOS.

Still not sure if this is a good move or not, which doesn't inspire much confidence.
    Then there is fundamentally no change in CentOS beyond switching from fixed release to rolling. Just like how CentOS Stream 8 is simply the unreleased RHEL 8.4 / 8.x to the current RHEL 8.3

When RHEL 9 is released, CentOS Stream will be simply be the unreleased RHEL 9.1 / 9.2. Which is hardly even an issue worth bringing up.

Comment

You must be a complete imbecile if you are going to run redhat's guinea pig, named as Stream, in production.

Nobody is interested to become an unpaid beta tester for redhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Then there is fundamentally no change in CentOS beyond switching from fixed release to rolling. Just like how CentOS Stream 8 is simply the unreleased RHEL 8.4 / 8.x to the current RHEL 8.3

When RHEL 9 is released, CentOS Stream will be simply be the unreleased RHEL 9.1 / 9.2. Which is hardly even an issue worth bringing up.
        Unless you are one of the 17 weirdos on CentOS using AMDGPU-Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
          You must be a complete imbecile if you are going to run redhat's guinea pig, named as Stream, in production.

Oh, I would love to know if you ever used Fedora... Pot, meet Kettle...

Comment

So, obviously doesn't make sense.
            1. IBM culture affecting Red Hat?
            2. Fedora's choice of Btrfs (also a mistake, btw) causing this?
            3. Self destruction?

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post

I'd rather run CentOS Stream over RHEL because I have a desktop and desktops need to be as up to date as possible. Servers, OTOH, are usually headless and don't normally need all the bleeding edge features. As long as a server is new/good enough to run something newer/better in a VM or container then it's good enough. Just different solutions for different use cases.

I assume they'd rather people use the free RHEL releases and have communities around RHEL versus having multiple (redundant) RHEL and CentOS communities talking about the same things and creating unnecessary community fragmentation.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

...meet charcoal.

The assumption that CentOS Stream is untested is the most ridiculous ever.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  That's not what is going to happen, by what can be read in the blog CentOS Stream X will just become kind of Debian Unstable of RHEL X, this is: if you're running CentOS Stream 8 now you will get the updates from the next RHEL point release (IE: 8.4) ahead of RHEL itself.

This means that you get to be the beta tester of the packages on the next RHEL point release if you run CentOS.

Still not sure if this is a good move or not, which doesn't inspire much confidence.
                  Agreed, this is precisely the problem. People choose CentOS because of its stable, proven, enterprise pedigree. This is the opposite of being a bleeding edge beta tester. CentOS Stream is not a replacement for CentOS. I suspect most CentOS users will migrate to other non IBM/RH distros. I sure am. And I've been certified RHCSA and RHCE for many years now. It's an unfortunate turn of events, for sure.
                  Last edited by torsionbar28; 08 December 2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Hardly, Fedora does not advertise itself as a stable LTS enterprise server platform. These are two very different use cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

...meet charcoal.

The assumption that CentOS Stream is untested is the most ridiculous ever.
                      I didn't claim it wasn't, what I did claim is that adopting a rolling release format -would- in fact improve stability and eliminate distro fragmentation.

Comment

Working...
                      X