Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS 8 Ending Next Year To Focus Shift On CentOS Stream

Phoronix: CentOS 8 Ending Next Year To Focus Shift On CentOS Stream

Well here is a surprise for those that have long used CentOS as the community-supported rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux... CentOS 8 will end in 2021 and moving forward CentOS 7 will remain supported until the end of its lifecycle but CentOS Stream will be the focus as the future upstream of RHEL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No words. I think that this is (yet another) big mistake by RedHat/CentOS.

Comment

Definitely a step in the right direction. Great news, I love it!

Comment

Benificial decision for Canonical/Ubuntu, the only corporation that offers its LTS for free.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
          I'd like to hear how you think its a mistake?

Comment

Seems like an IBM driven move to me. Disappointing for sure. CentOS as a free community OS helps drive RHEL adoption in the enterprise. IBM likely viewed it differently. I suspect this will result in hobbyists moving to a different server distro and abandoning CentOS entirely. I know I'm sure looking into alternatives after this announcement. The ability to use essentially the same LTS server distro at home for free (CentOS) as what we buy and use at work (RHEL) is a huge plus. Now that this benefit is gone, I have far less of an incentive to recommend RHEL at work.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 08 December 2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'd like to hear how you think its a mistake?
              as far as I know, several companies (and other entities) are using CentOS for its reliability and long term support, and buying some RHEL Licenses where needed.
              this will probably make CentOS not a viable option for some of them, and hence they'll probably move to something that still provide long term support for free (Debian/Ubuntu).

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                Benificial decision for Canonical/Ubuntu, the only corporation that offers its LTS for free.
                AFAIK only for 5 years, for the next 5 years one has to pay. And one of the main issues of Canonical is the monetization of Ubuntu that it seems to be close to be or is just a bit profitable, so I'm not sure if this will help them or not.

Comment

as far as I know, several companies (and other entities) are using CentOS for its reliability and long term support, and buying some RHEL Licenses where needed.
                  this will probably make CentOS not a viable option for some of them, and hence they'll probably move to something that still provide long term support for free (Debian/Ubuntu).
                  Rhel 8 still exists, you can still download it and use it free of charge just like always. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                    What? Rhel 8 is still available and you can still use it free of charge... -ALL- versions of Rhel have always been available for free of charge...

Comment

Working...
                    X