Arch Linux's Pacman 6.0 Enters Alpha With Parallel Downloads Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux's Pacman 6.0 Enters Alpha With Parallel Downloads Support

Phoronix: Arch Linux's Pacman 6.0 Enters Alpha With Parallel Downloads Support

Pacman, the excellent package manager on Arch Linux, is working on becoming even more compelling with the in-development Pacman 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Package downloads over HTTP/3 would be cool as well. If Arch had that Fedora money maybe they could use zstd diffs.

Comment

Finally, in 2020 we get parallel downloads at least on Arch soon. My Gigabit connection would love to get used properly.

Comment

100 Megabit connections like that too.

Comment

dnf is doing parallel downloads more than three years ..

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            100 Megabit connections like that too.
            I have 100Mbit and I reach the limit of my ISP pretty easily.
            That being said, I don't really see how this will speed things up for most people. If your internet connection is faster than the server's, downloading multiple files isn't going to speed up anything unless the other downloads are coming from different mirrors. If it downloads from multiple mirrors, then I could see this being very beneficial to anyone with very fast internet.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 04 December 2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Finally! I never understood why this took so long.

It'd be nice to have the integrity check done in parallel as well.
              Last edited by geearf; 04 December 2020, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I have 100Mbit and I reach the limit of my ISP pretty easily.
                That being said, I don't really see how this will speed things up for most people. If your internet connection is faster than the server's, downloading multiple files isn't going to speed up anything unless the other downloads are coming from different mirrors. If it downloads from multiple mirrors, then I could see this being very beneficial to anyone with very fast internet.
                I have a shitty ISP so it'll help me. They cap individual files around 10-11mb/s, but I can do up to 9 or 10 of them at a time before they're all throttled.

Comment

Never had a problem with download speeds (fast connection here), but I'll take it.

Edit: Now if only Android would figure out how to do this. Come to think of it, Win10 doesn't pull updates in parallel either
                  Last edited by bug77; 04 December 2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

That is SO 1990s and not the solution. This:
                    • is a very sad attempt at working around the poor design of TCP congestion control
                    • will put extra load on servers for no good reasons (and they might even stop wanting to offer free bandwidth to the project)
                    • will have no return on investment as soon as everybody has switched to the new version
                    Please, time prove me wrong!

Comment

Working...
                    X