No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 Might Try To Use PipeWire By Default To Replace PulseAudio/JACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just NO at this point. PipeWire is still in heavy development. The proposal even states that PipeWire doesn't support all the features of Pulseaudio yet, so migrating to PipeWire would *regress* functionality. This is simply not acceptable.

Here's a better idea: make it easy to test PipeWire in Fedora 34 to get as much testing as needed, fix the bugs encountered, implement missing functionality, and look at this again for Fedora 35.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      Are you able to use a bluetooth headset as well for both input and output? Currently that is problematic with PulseAudio, though there is an active MR on that.
      I've been using a Bluetooth headset for ages with PulseAudio.. that's one of the fantastic features of PulseAudio that you can switch audio streams between sound cards seamlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        Is PipeWire actually ready to supplant PulseAudio already?
        I looked at PipeWire 0.2 a bit but that's already called "legacy"...

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Just NO at this point. PipeWire is still in heavy development. The proposal even states that PipeWire doesn't support all the features of Pulseaudio yet, so migrating to PipeWire would *regress* functionality. This is simply not acceptable.

Here's a better idea: make it easy to test PipeWire in Fedora 34 to get as much testing as needed, fix the bugs encountered, implement missing functionality, and look at this again for Fedora 35.
          Sometimes you need to be a Ass to get the testing. Optional people can end up not testing and not reporting bugs. Someways make Pipewire default with a really simple option to switch to Pulseaudio if it don't work for you.

The thing to remember out of all the features that Pipewire does not support of Pulseaudio how are you going to find one what ones of those features no one uses so don't need to be implemented.

I remember the X.org feature removal plan and code base update plan goes as follows.
          1) Find part you cannot decide between remove or update.
          2) Break the code intentionally
          3) If no one complains in 12 months no one was using it so remove this complete. goto 1.
          4) remove international code breakage.
          5) update the code.
          6) goto 1.

It turns out asking people if they use X feature does not get valid answers. Breaking/removing X feature that user need they notice missing and complain.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            Yes, I used Bluetooth A2DP with my Sennheizers HD4.50. The only thing I had to add is "-e bluez5" in /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf. Didn't try input, I cannot stand the quality of BT headphones on headset profile, but it is visible in mixer.

As for quality I did not notice any difference between PipeWire and PulseAudio with soxr-hq (maybe PipeWire reads Pulse's config?). About CPU it seems PipeWire eats a bit less CPU but not sure about this - I have powerful processor and comparing between 1% and 1.5% is a bit hard Cannot say much about latency, but I am playing Fallout 4 now and previously with Pulse sound stuttered sometimes, had no problems with Pipe for 2 weeks at least.

In any case it looked to me as a simple drop-in replacement. Why Wayland guys could not do the same?
            Transparent replacement sounds great for a start!
            You're making me think of trying it, I think I installed it already but never actually used it.
            I dread the old days of ALSA and PulseAudio though, so I am scared.

Thank you!

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

I've been using a Bluetooth headset for ages with PulseAudio.. that's one of the fantastic features of PulseAudio that you can switch audio streams between sound cards seamlessly.
            I know about switching. I do it too, but the current bluetooth implementation is severely lacking, I can't even use the microphone on my headset.

Comment

Does it has a good graphical UI like Pavucontrol (and its implementations in Plasma & Co.?) What about filters? Echo filters, sinks? Audio offset? Separate channel volume?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                This is their next biggest thing after Wayland, systemd and flatpak, good luck!
                Why do people forget, that 15 years ago, PulseAudio and NetworkManager where the "next big thing" everyone complained about?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                  Thanks.
                  It's now clearer to me on the audio front.

Basically, it is supposed to be transparent for the user on the Pulseaudio front (when ready) and will ease the setup for what JACK does on the PRO front (low-latency use case). Plus a bit of security here, and some modularity (for config and future dev) there.

Now I need to understand what it will do on the video side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

Why do people forget, that 15 years ago, PulseAudio and NetworkManager where the "next big thing" everyone complained about?
                    Pulseaudio is probably the last thing (actually, Unity was) that got me really excited since I've been on Linux. As opposed to wayland for example, it was one of those changes for which I immediately jumped on the bandwagon. I really felt it would make life much easier.
                    Last edited by Mez'; 23 November 2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

How could Pipewire replace ALSA? Wouldn't it need to access the hardware through ALSA, like Pulseaudio?

Comment

Working...
                      X