Debian 11 Picks Its Default Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

This has nothing to do with any GTK theme. This is just the artwork.
    He didn't use the word "GTK theme". Adwaita is more than that: it also contains cursors, icons and backgrounds. And the backgrounds fit under "artwork".

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      Not what I voted for, but still very nice.

Goes from linux 4.19 to 5.9, which bring all the features between those kernel versions.
      not the kernel 5.10? what version it will be lts this year?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

not the kernel 5.10? what version it will be lts this year?
        No. Debian LTS is on kernel 4.9 til june 2022. LTS kernel and LTS debian are two different things. Debian is always much slower, but infinitely more stable than virtually all distros. Almost no one uses straight LTS debian unless it's server automated workload. Desktop users use sid at the very least, and if you really care about 5.10 or "new things', then you're on Arch anyway.

Comment

The one I voted for, how great.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Almost no one uses straight LTS debian unless it's server automated workload. Desktop users use sid at the very least,
            Why? If stable supports your hardware you're good to go with stable.
            I am not a developer, I use my computer to edit photos and sometimes a video, edit audio, work on documents, e-mail, surf the web, play some games on steam and run some virtual machines.
            There is absolutely nothing that the software from today has to offer me that makes me do all those things better, or has a feature that I absolutely need to have.
            I see people talk so much about newer versions of software, and that they want it because it's newer. But I rarely see anyone say why they need it, for what function?

In short, newer software is overrated.
            Does your computer works 100%, good. Can you do with it want you want to do? Yes, done!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And Adwaita doesn't look retro? I mean: it's not ugly, but it does look aged to me.
              True - I always wanted to make my own theme because in the past the most default themes look a bit outdated. luckily it is changing ...or I'm aging. At the end I can only complain whilst being unable to do it better.

Until ClearLinux abbandoned their Desktop tweaks they have used Materia + Paper Icons and their own Font. Looks pretty modern. ..but now AFAIK it is plain vanilla Gnome. Not sure because I'm on PopOS. Btw is also not that bad but has more the hippster feeling less the designer look and feel...
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 13 November 2020, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Operius73 View Post

Why? If stable supports your hardware you're good to go with stable.
                I am not a developer, I use my computer to edit photos and sometimes a video, edit audio, work on documents, e-mail, surf the web, play some games on steam and run some virtual machines.
                There is absolutely nothing that the software from today has to offer me that makes me do all those things better, or has a feature that I absolutely need to have.
                I see people talk so much about newer versions of software, and that they want it because it's newer. But I rarely see anyone say why they need it, for what function?

In short, newer software is overrated.
                Does your computer works 100%, good. Can you do with it want you want to do? Yes, done!
                Debian stable packages is too old that sometimes ones required packages not provided there. In my case, client have debian Stretch and still not upgrading. I want to install neovim and fzf, but stretch doesn't provide that. Yes, we can compile it, but still too much a hassle for me.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Debian stable packages is too old that sometimes ones required packages not provided there. In my case, client have debian Stretch and still not upgrading. I want to install neovim and fzf, but stretch doesn't provide that. Yes, we can compile it, but still too much a hassle for me.
                  Yeah like I said, if you can do with it what you want to do with it you're good. Otherwise you will have to do some work to get it done.
                  But in this case it should be easy. Neovim is available for stretch and you can use fzf as a snap package after you've installed snapd offcourse.

Comment

Originally posted by Operius73 View Post

Yeah like I said, if you can do with it what you want to do with it you're good. Otherwise you will have to do some work to get it done.
                    But in this case it should be easy. Neovim is available for stretch and you can use fzf as a snap package after you've installed snapd offcourse.
                    Sorry, not fond of snap. Oh, and, "if you can do with it what you want to do with it you're good" -> not really. What if the newer code is more robust or have a significant performance impact? Yes, you still can use the old packages. But the newest packages double the perf. Example: PHP from 5.6 to 7.x.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

Sorry, not fond of snap. Oh, and, "if you can do with it what you want to do with it you're good" -> not really. What if the newer code is more robust or have a significant performance impact? Yes, you still can use the old packages. But the newest packages double the perf. Example: PHP from 5.6 to 7.x.
                      Just use what is good for you. I have what I need and it all works fast enough. There is always some improvement somewhere, but why should I care if I can do my stuff without any issues right now? I can wait until the next Debian release for whatever improvement there is. If I couldn't, I would use a rolling release distro. But I can, so I don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X