Canonical Saw ~$119M Revenue In 2019 But Still Operating At A Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You all are a bunch of idiots

Look at Mozilla who was destroyed due to the COVID restrictions and economic losses. Ubuntu? Mark improved their situation by 22%. That’s no small feat.

I personally use Ubuntu. Not only does it “just work”, but the packages are well maintained and the interface is the sanest version of Gnome that I’ve used.

I have two major gripes:

1) I can’t click in white space in nautilus for say, creating a new folder.

2) Adjusting audio settings like input as output requires me to go through like 3 menus.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Danny3 You could just look it up at debian’s tracker service? The data has been around for decades...

In case that’s too much to ask then look at Canonical’s trello board for the GNOME 3.38 packaging.
      https://trello.com/b/sdyPskaS/gnome-338
      Hm... ok.
      But is kinda expected to see them packaging for Debian also, maybe it helps them to have some stuff fixed upstream too.
      I was a bit curios about other packages that they help Debian with.
      Anyway, good to know where to look, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
        Mark improved their situation by 22%. That’s no small feat.
        Please keep it civil and refrain from name calling.

The 22% increase in revenue is actually a small feat if you only do $100M in revenues and focus on cloud. Just look at the growth of the Cloud providers and the growth of Red Hat and SUSE. Canonical's cost of sales increased by more than 26% and averaged each employee only "does" about $250K of revenue. And finally Canonical lost $2.4M. That's hardly impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

One has to mention, that even up to now Ubuntu is still one of the most easy distributions to use. I'm also criticizing Canonical a lot but still I like the base Ubuntu. Unfortunately some stuff on top of it is just almost "malicious" tending stuff (Snaps). That is the reason why I'm using mainly PopOS.
          Ubuntu was the distribution that opened up to ease of installation and use of Linux, however today most distributions are simple, indeed Ubuntu has even lost ground.
          For example there are distributions, which automatically eliminate the old kernels, keeping only the last two, there are distributions that have graphical configuration tools that Ubuntu does not have, there are distributions able to cancel an update.
          So no, Ubuntu isn't the simplest distribution today.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

Please keep it civil and refrain from name calling.

The 22% increase in revenue is actually a small feat if you only do $100M in revenues and focus on cloud. Just look at the growth of the Cloud providers and the growth of Red Hat and SUSE. Canonical's cost of sales increased by more than 26% and averaged each employee only "does" about $250K of revenue. And finally Canonical lost $2.4M. That's hardly impressive.
            Stop being stupid and I'll stop. Your logic is backwards, to you, an increase of $26 million is tiny while a loss of $2.4 million isn't tinier? That loss is 9% of their increase in revenue. Ubuntu is on track to becoming profitable.

Now to the second point, when cloud demand explodes, you need to make a LOT of purchases (servers, infrastructure) to keep up with demand, that's hardly a concern as far as loss is going.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
              You all are a bunch of idiots

Look at Mozilla who was destroyed due to the COVID restrictions and economic losses.
              Mozilla has been trying to commit suicide for the last decade, and you're going to blame Covid? Maybe it didn't help, but in no way is that their biggest problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Mozilla has been trying to commit suicide for the last decade, and you're going to blame Covid? Maybe it didn't help, but in no way is that their biggest problem.
                Mozilla took a big hit in a time where the amount of internet traffic should have increased, which should have increased their revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Ubuntu was the distribution that opened up to ease of installation and use of Linux, however today most distributions are simple, indeed Ubuntu has even lost ground.
                  For example there are distributions, which automatically eliminate the old kernels, keeping only the last two, there are distributions that have graphical configuration tools that Ubuntu does not have, there are distributions able to cancel an update.
                  So no, Ubuntu isn't the simplest distribution today.
                  True Distros have become easy to install (I started with Suse 7,x) compared to any distro today this was difficult.

But I have never said it is THE EASIEST...I have said it is ONE OF THE MOST EASIEST distribution. I cant recall any situation where I struggeld to install ubuntu - without using advanced linux skills....ok secureboot but this is always a bit tricky.
                  ClearLinux is also easy to install if you know how to use partitions. Debian is also easy if you know what Xserver or graphical user interface implies....By this measure "out of the box" plugin USB stick created under windows install with rudimentary pc knowledge. ..Ubuntu or close derivates are super easy.

Nonetheless now I'm curious what is the name of the distro cleaning up kernel images by default?
                  Last edited by CochainComplex; 09 November 2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    3) Switched to systemd right away rather than wasting resources on Upstart.
                    IIRC Upstart came before systemd, in fact RHEL 6 used Upstart

Comment

We can' truly know what is hidden behind of these numbers. Canonical is private company and stock listed so we can't know what is real situation. And ditching Unity and switching to GNOME was correct move from cost saving viewpoint. Real earnings possibilities are Cloud and Servers side not Desktop side.

Comment

Working...
                      X