Canonical Saw ~$119M Revenue In 2019 But Still Operating At A Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Saw ~$119M Revenue In 2019 But Still Operating At A Loss

Phoronix: Canonical Saw ~$119M Revenue In 2019 But Still Operating At A Loss

Ubuntu maker Canonical Holdings Limited recently submitted their UK financial report for their fiscal year ending 31 December 2019. During the pre-COVID times they generated around 22% more revenue than 2018 but still operated at a loss albeit more narrowly than in prior years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they had Ubuntu with Unity, Upstart and Mir, things could be much better nowadays Today they are just RedHat's affiliate.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      If they had Ubuntu with Unity, Upstart and Mir, things could be much better nowadays Today they are just RedHat's affiliate.
      More like
      1) If they didn't start Mir and focused on Wayland
      2) Continued to advance Unity
      3) Switched to systemd right away rather than wasting resources on Upstart.

Comment

Should be acquired by Microsoft.

Comment

I would pay for their products if they were any good.
          But they are bad on desktop because of using by default the worst in interface I have ever seen.
          And they are bad on server since it doesn't bring anything to make you job easier.
          Even Manjaro has an interface to easily manage kernels and systemd units.

I honestly don't know what the Canonical developers are working on.
          The kernel is developed by other people (Linux kernel developers).
          The interface id developed by other people (Gnome 3 developers).
          The packages are develped by other people (Debian developers).

With the hard work being done by other people, no wonder Canonical always has time to invest into stuff nobody cares about (Mir, Snap, Windows WSL, etc.).

The only thing that crosses my mind is the fact that they might be getting money from somewhere to intentionally be that bad.
          And we know very well who profits from the leading Linux distro being that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            For me, the one thing they have interesting is Zsys. As much as I like ZFS, it isn't a compelling enough reason to use Ubuntu. I suppose if Ubuntu had a true rolling release edition with somewhere around Fedora or Manjaro package versions I could try to get back into it; when you read Phoronix news, Ubuntu is just too old.

But a revenue of $119M, operating at a loss, yet popular -- I didn't know Ubuntu was ran by Uber. I guess the Ub should have been a clue

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
              If we get HDR on the Linux desktop, I'm all for it. HDR is the one tech that was able to get me back on Windows and using WSL2.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                Microsoft should be killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Apple.

People will use Windows whether it sucks or not. Trust me on that. My last monitor had this crappy standby blanking issue and on my current one Windows won't set my HDR brightness after a standby so I have to go to display settings and move that damn HDR brightness slider down a tick and back up. Windows standby sucks ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I would pay for their products if they were any good.
                    But they are bad on desktop because of using by default the worst in interface I have ever seen.
                    And they are bad on server since it doesn't bring anything to make you job easier.
                    Even Manjaro has an interface to easily manage kernels and systemd units.

I honestly don't know what the Canonical developers are working on.
                    The kernel is developed by other people (Linux kernel developers).
                    The interface id developed by other people (Gnome 3 developers).
                    The packages are develped by other people (Debian developers).

With the hard work being done by other people, no wonder Canonical always has time to invest into stuff nobody cares about (Mir, Snap, Windows WSL, etc.).

The only thing that crosses my mind is the fact that they might be getting money from somewhere to intentionally be that bad.
                    Another troll, a lot of debian packages are made byt canonical devs, Gnome is now the default and most used desktop in linux world and canonical improve a lot gnome in the last years, making gnome much faster and less buggy, canonical maintain their kernel for many years and bring back the patches like the others pro distros, the desktop Ubuntu is easy to use, the server edition is good, the kernel management is easy to use. snaps bring a lot of sotware to linux and is a great piece of software and many cares (another lie or stupid thing come from your head), Mir was a great project but it fails like others, you should learn some things and look better to manjaro a distro where the things break every week and only noobs use it with ideia they are using arch

Comment

Working...
                    X