Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical Saw ~$119M Revenue In 2019 But Still Operating At A Loss

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

    More like
    1) If they didn't start Mir and focused on Wayland
    2) Continued to advance Unity
    3) Switched to systemd right away rather than wasting resources on Upstart.
    They did everything to become irrelevant . Snaps are another joke. Tried Eclipse, but it didn't even launch.

    Comment


    • #12
      It’s good to know their Desktop Team is back on GNOME. Working together with Debian, Red Hat, Purism, SUSE, Endlesm, System76 and many more friends.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

        Another troll, a lot of debian packages are made byt canonical devs, Gnome is now the default and most used desktop in linux world and canonical improve a lot gnome in the last years, making gnome much faster and less buggy, canonical maintain their kernel for many years and bring back the patches like the others pro distros, the desktop Ubuntu is easy to use, the server edition is good, the kernel management is easy to use. snaps bring a lot of sotware to linux and is a great piece of software and many cares (another lie or stupid thing come from your head), Mir was a great project but it fails like others, you should learn some things and look better to manjaro a distro where the things break every week and only noobs use it with ideia they are using arch
        Disagreeing with a project's goals and having wrong or outdated information doesn't necessarily make someone a troll. I know Ubuntu has a big hand in Debian's GNOME packaging and more. 144hz does a good job educating us about that. Before he started his education campaign I, like many others, assumed Ubuntu was mainly forking crap and tweaking it to suit their needs. Now I know better.

        My experiences with Manjaro aren't what you describe. Should you be called a troll since you have negative opinions towards something, used negative comments like stupid, and described a different experience than what I had?

        Comment


        • #14
          Canonical lost some important customers, such as Google, who switched to Debian.
          With the transition to Gnome, their lack of interest in the desktop was immediately evident. In fact, they are now concentrated in other more profitable sectors and the desktop is back in the hands of the community.
          I don't like to criticize companies that invest in Gnu / linux, whoever it is, I can only say my experience with Ubuntu.
          I have used Ubuntu for over 10 years and have always enjoyed it, however in recent years it has been under the impression that the quality has decreased, breakages that were once rare occurrences are now more frequent. This led me to other distributions, but I don't consider Ubuntu a bad distribution for that, I just found better.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            It’s good to know their Desktop Team is back on GNOME.
            Only if you are a GNOME fanatic..

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Setif View Post
              Should be acquired by Microsoft.
              Will be acquired by Microsoft.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                If we get HDR on the Linux desktop, I'm all for it. HDR is the one tech that was able to get me back on Windows and using WSL2.
                Blasphemy - the Last Judgement ...I have heard they count boot counts!*

                *imagine hell is just a room full of PC's and all of them have the MS Bluescreen. From now on you hace to try to find a working pc.
                Last edited by CochainComplex; 09 November 2020, 10:40 AM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                  Disagreeing with a project's goals and having wrong or outdated information doesn't necessarily make someone a troll. I know Ubuntu has a big hand in Debian's GNOME packaging and more. 144hz does a good job educating us about that. Before he started his education campaign I, like many others, assumed Ubuntu was mainly forking crap and tweaking it to suit their needs. Now I know better.

                  My experiences with Manjaro aren't what you describe. Should you be called a troll since you have negative opinions towards something, used negative comments like stupid, and described a different experience than what I had?
                  One has to mention, that even up to now Ubuntu is still one of the most easy distributions to use. I'm also criticizing Canonical a lot but still I like the base Ubuntu. Unfortunately some stuff on top of it is just almost "malicious" tending stuff (Snaps). That is the reason why I'm using mainly PopOS.
                  Last edited by CochainComplex; 09 November 2020, 11:16 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

                    Another troll, a lot of debian packages are made byt canonical devs, Gnome is now the default and most used desktop in linux world and canonical improve a lot gnome in the last years, making gnome much faster and less buggy, canonical maintain their kernel for many years and bring back the patches like the others pro distros, the desktop Ubuntu is easy to use, the server edition is good, the kernel management is easy to use. snaps bring a lot of software to linux and is a great piece of software and many cares (another lie or stupid thing come from your head), Mir was a great project but it fails like others, you should learn some things and look better to manjaro a distro where the things break every week and only noobs use it with ideia they are using arch
                    Oh, please cut the crap with the troll thing.
                    I can't leave my opinion unless is positive ?
                    How about leaving people alone to say what they think, good or bad ?

                    Why do you say that a lot of Debian packages are made by Canonical devs, is there a list anywhere ?
                    As far as I know Debian has thousands of packages, seems to me that Canonical doesn't have enough developers to handle "a lot" of packages.
                    Gnome 3 may be the default and most used DE, but don't you think that this is one of the main reasons Linux still has 1% market share among OSes ?
                    If it's so good why doesn't the most recommended Linux distro (Mint) doesn't use it and they have their own fork among other DEs ?
                    Even having desktop shortcuts to most used programs and files is too much for the most used desktop.

                    The kernel management is easy to use, WTF are you talking about ?
                    Downloading 3-4 .deb files from some website and installing it with something like dpkg -i *.deb is what you call easy ?
                    Do you think a new comer will know where to download the new kernel from and what command to use to install it or you're talking about using a third party tool like Mainline kernel upgrader ?

                    Snap bring a lot of software, again what are you talking about, what can be done with it and could not be done with .deb, .AppImage of Flatpak, really?

                    I think you either are joking or you're a Canonical / Ubuntu fanboy that cannot / don't want to see any disadvantages.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      How can they be operating at a loss with that kind of money? Is it just by paying off old debt or what?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X