Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 11 "Bullseye" Freezes Coming Up, Debian 13 To Be Trixie

Phoronix: Debian 11 "Bullseye" Freezes Coming Up, Debian 13 To Be Trixie

Debian developers are two months out from the transition and essentials freeze for Debian 11 "Bullseye" that in turn should debut as stable later in 2021...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eh, I prefer the pony.

Comment

nice name, my dog is named like that
      Last edited by Kayote; 08 November 2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Can't wait! Thanks Debian 👍

Comment

Really looking forward to this release

Comment

who is using pure Debian and why?

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
              Because Ubuntu always find some way to break something and then take forever to fix it, and if upstream fixes something then Ubuntu takes months to package the same fix unless it's a critical security issue.

Debian has more stuff in their repository, and if you run testing or unstable then it's usually more up to date than downstream distributions, and yet it is far more stable than the name would imply. Perfectly good for everyday use.

After using Ubuntu for a while and having some nagging issues pop up now and then, I realized Ubuntu doesn't do anything for me that Debian also can't do, so I asked myself why was I using Ubuntu in the first place?

And I find Debian's stance on free open source software to be more appealing than Ubuntu's more compromised so called pragmatic stance.

Comment

Why not? In the early 2000s I tried Debian a few times but I kept hitting hardware driver support and configuration issues that I wasn't seeing when I installed Slackware, Red Hat, Mandrake, or (when it launched in 2004) Ubuntu. But some time between then and now, at least on my devices the Debian installer became as consistently good at handling hardware drivers and their configuration as the other mainstream distributions.

Comment

I do on multiple systems. Debian is competitive in performance, has a large number of packages, and runs almost anywhere form RPI, Laptops, to Servers. Also, virtually all proprietary/free software available for Linux will offer a .deb package.

Debian testing works well for Laptops (imo comparable with Fedora). Debian stable works well for servers (imo comparable with CentOS or RHEL minus support). Also, I don't think Debian should be compared to Ubuntu that ships with some "non-standard" things (snap preinstalled, Nvidia driver) to simplify the life of novices. To me, some of it feels like Debian+bloatware but this is clearly a personal opinion. This is not to say that Ubuntu is not doing great things for Debian and Linux in general, just that I prefer a more "barebones" version.

Overall, I think the differences between the distros are narrowing and I don't have a strong preference among the major distros anymore. The good stuff is adopted across these distros fairly quickly and I can get all major distros to work pretty much the exact same way. Also, Flatpak is really helping with proprietary and free app distribution. Now we get up-to-date sandboxed apps on the stable dinosaurs (Debian stable, RHEL, CentOS)!!
                  Last edited by mppix; 09 November 2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I'm using Debian stable on both my laptop and desktop. All the software I need is there, and it just works all the time. No surprises. After using opensuse for more than 12 years I made the switch to Buster because it was for me the first Debian release that was modern enough to work for me. It's here to stay!

Comment

Working...
                    X