RHEL 8.3 Released With TSX Disabled By Default To Avoid Mitigation Overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHEL 8.3 Released With TSX Disabled By Default To Avoid Mitigation Overhead

Phoronix: RHEL 8.3 Released With TSX Disabled By Default To Avoid Mitigation Overhead

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3 is out today as the latest release of the RHEL8 platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As TSX was supposed to be a major feature for future performance improvements, this move makes it look like another failed attempt to realize that potential (as disabling TSX in Haswell due to hardware bugs was the first let down in this regard). Let's hope that ARM's upcoming implementation will enjoy a better fate.

Comment

There is one typo
      LUKES2 is also now used by default as the encrypted container.

Comment

I know that RHEL is made for stability and won't have the latest versions of most software, but 8.2 came out on 2020-04-28. That's exactly 5 months after PHP 7.4 came out, so why is it only included now?

Comment

Originally posted by iruoy View Post
          I know that RHEL is made for stability and won't have the latest versions of most software, but 8.2 came out on 2020-04-28. That's exactly 5 months after PHP 7.4 came out, so why is it only included now?
          It has been available as a yum module in the app streams repo. Just in beta status presumably to give it more lead time.

Comment

Originally posted by iruoy View Post
            You need to go by the beta date. After that you will only get fine tuning.

8.3 has been in beta for a few months.

8.2 probably went into beta around the time of the php 7.4 release or soon afterwards. Enterprise releases are not just about packaging, but also about testing so it would take some time to make sure it was of adequate quality.

Comment

Both the headline and the text are misleading.
              Red Hat has not released RHEL 8.3 yet. They only announced that RHEL 8.3 will be available in the coming weeks.

I don't know why they need an extra announcement between announcing the beta and the final release.

Comment

At this point, seems like intel should disable their entire AMD64 implementation, and switch back to Itanium.

Comment

RHEL should release desktop OS with 3 year release cycle as window replacement and Gamers

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
                    RHEL should release desktop OS with 3 year release cycle as window replacement and Gamers
                    They used to, it was called RedHat Linux.
                    RHEL came as RedHat realized, that being an open source centric company there's little money to be made by selling desktop OS support packages, but there's a lot of money to be made by selling server support packages (Which, i essentially the only difference between CentOS and RHEL).

That said, RedHat is the main sponsor of Fedora, which is a fine desktop OS (I personally use it and my company uses it across the board).

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X