Fedora 33 Released With Workstation Using Btrfs By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madinside View Post

Contrary to popular belief, most people don't use databases on their desktops. ;-)
    Actually there are plenty of developers who run a database on their desktops - stuff like this, full power, is one of the reasons for having a desktop rather than a throttling laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      This is not about databases. Btrfs is just a better fit on modern systemd-based distributions.
      I've not had a problem with EXT4 so its not that big of a deal. Some people are making too much of a fuss about it lol. It has this it has that ooooh ahhhhh lol.

Comment

They once more moved shutdown option to a different place. This move is actually dumb stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

People shouldn't have to know how to "use a file system". A file system should just be this thing that sits there and just does what it suppose to and be invisible, users shouldn't have to know or care about it.
          And from where such naive ideology comes from? Maybe it should also decide what you'll be eating next day?

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post

The website rpms for at least Atom, Chrome and Teamviewer (I dont know for the other as I don't use them) do install the official repos ;
            How isn't that the best way to deal with this kind of softwares?
            It's pretty good, admittedly. I didn't think of Flatpak as some have suggested, and that solves most of my issues (Authy is an app I needed to install snap just to get running, but it works decently). I guess I'm just so used to the AUR and the yay helper tool that being able to type, for example, yay -S terraform or yay -S etcher and knowing that it will be available is something I miss. Nearly everything I can even think of is in the AUR. Fedora is a REALLY solid system though with, IMO, very sensible defaults and good quality releases. I'm just spoiled by having literally everything in one repo that easily accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And from where such naive ideology comes from? Maybe it should also decide what you'll be eating next day?
              Some people seem to make it sound like it should lol.

Comment

dylanmtaylor It would be nice if everything was packaged in Fedora natively, but certain philosophical and legal choices prevent that from happening (if it's not OSS, it's not going to be in the distribution repositories: exception to binary blobs that are required for functionality). RPM Fusion is always a great add for a lot of open-source, free software, and non-free or patent-encumbered software. Unfortunately though, if an official RPM repo does exist from the upstream providers or a flatpak exists, it's much less likely someone will choose to maintain it as a repackaged RPM. And that doesn't touch on the legality of taking a software package and redistributing it (some vendors aren't appreciative of that). COPR is there as well as a supplement for more individualist packagers and testers.

The AUR and Debian package archive though, those are beasts on their own (at least in regards to quantity).

Cheers,
                Mike
                Last edited by mroche; 27 October 2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I still remember when people despised and refused to move to Ext4.

Comment

I have been on F33 since beta and I must admit that it is rock solid on all of my computers that I use daily. Switched from arch/manjaro world to fedora a while ago and I am amazed with how much care has been put to package stability and quality despite being a quasi rolling release distro. Awesome work fedora devs.

I am on EXT4 LVM due to F32 prior install and I don't want to reinstall the whole system again so I will be opting out of Btrfs world and I don't think I will regret it for short or mid term. Maybe if I buy a new NVMe drive I will do a fresh reinstall and enter the Btrfs world.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

You are mistaken, most people USE databases on their desktops.
                      Oh, well, this is one of those "what I really meant" replies :-D

People* don't use databases, people* use applications. They don't care about those applications using databases. It's up to the application developers to make their applications work flawlessly on CoW filesystems.

* people = regular non-developer folk, end-users who only have usecases as the regular Windows or macOS user

Comment

Working...
                      X