Fedora 33 Released With Workstation Using Btrfs By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iruoy View Post

I meant to link to this article, but I forgot . I've edited my post now.
    Thanks very good read.

"...Bacik concluded with a summary of what has worked well and what has not. He told the story of tracking down a bug where Btrfs kept reporting checksum errors when working with a specific RAID controller. Experience has led him to assume that such things are Btrfs bugs, but this time it turned out that the RAID controller was writing some random data to the middle of the disk on every reboot. This problem had been happening for years, silently corrupting filesystems; Btrfs flagged it almost immediately. That is when he started to think that, perhaps, it's time to start trusting Btrfs a bit more.

Another unexpected benefit was the help Btrfs has provided in tracking down microarchitectural processor bugs. Btrfs tends to stress the system's CPU more than other filesystems; features like checksumming, compression, and work offloaded to threads tend to keep things busy. Facebook, which builds its own hardware, has run into a few CPU problems that have been exposed by Btrfs; that made it easy to create reproducers to send to CPU vendors in order to get things fixed.

In general, he said, he has spent a lot of time trying to track down systemic problems in the filesystem. Being a filesystem developer, he is naturally conservative; he worries that "the world will burn down" and it will all be his fault. In almost every case, these problems have turned out to have their origin in the hardware or other parts of the system. Hardware, he said, is worse than Btrfs when it comes to quality....."

This are very nice insights. the cons mentioned later on are exactly those written in the btrfs kernel wiki page.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
      I love Fedora, I really do, but the biggest con I have noticed is being able to find and install software from repositories, not just websites that happen to have an RPM version. Plenty of things I use frequently are hard to find and I miss the AUR so much. Namely VS Code/Atom, Discord, Bitwarden, Teams, Chrome (available from the website), TeamViewer, etc. I feel like Fedora would be a very excellent operating system that I could use on a daily basis if there was more software availability for it.
      Bitwarden is available as flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
        I love Fedora, I really do, but the biggest con I have noticed is being able to find and install software from repositories, not just websites that happen to have an RPM version. Plenty of things I use frequently are hard to find and I miss the AUR so much. Namely VS Code/Atom, Discord, Bitwarden, Teams, Chrome (available from the website), TeamViewer, etc. I feel like Fedora would be a very excellent operating system that I could use on a daily basis if there was more software availability for it.
        The website rpms for at least Atom, Chrome and Teamviewer (I dont know for the other as I don't use them) do install the official repos ;
        How isn't that the best way to deal with this kind of softwares?

Comment

I was honestly surprised at how well the Fedora 33 WS beta product worked when I installed it on a long obsolete piece of kit a couple of weeks ago.

Even with ancient pre-GCN Radeon hardware powering two 4K displays, GNOME Shell on Wayland was smooooth and the FF HW acceleration story was much better than on Xorg.

Small wonder RH have essentially abandoned work on Xorg (apart from XWayland).
          Last edited by ermo; 27 October 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madinside View Post

Contrary to popular belief, most people don't use databases on their desktops. ;-)
            Akonadi?

The fact that SQL Server is installed on many bloatware laptops?

Applications using SQLite?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              People going to lose their data! 😱

Also I think maybe Btrfs might terrible for some applications such as databases. But I don't know.
              Oh, not this again...

Please learn how to use Btrfs before complaining, you can create sub-volumes for ignoring COW for certain directories.
              That's is what openSUSE has been doing for a long time.

Comment

Does anyone know if they created a similar setup to openSUSE's?
                I mean, with subvolumes and snapshots...

Comment

openSUSE is using for years Btrfs and it is well integrated in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignacio Taranto View Post
                    Does anyone know if they created a similar setup to openSUSE's?
                    I mean, with subvolumes and snapshots...
                    /home and / are separate subvolumes. Nothing else fancy in this release. The goal is for the transition to be smooth and invisible, with the potential for advanced features later.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignacio Taranto View Post

Oh, not this again...

Please learn how to use Btrfs before complaining, you can create sub-volumes for ignoring COW for certain directories.
                      That's is what openSUSE has been doing for a long time.
                      People shouldn't have to know how to "use a file system". A file system should just be this thing that sits there and just does what it suppose to and be invisible, users shouldn't have to know or care about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X