Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 33 Released With Workstation Using Btrfs By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 33 Released With Workstation Using Btrfs By Default

Fedora 33 has just been released as the last major update to this Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution for 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

People going to lose their data! 😱

Also I think maybe Btrfs might terrible for some applications such as databases. But I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Also I think maybe Btrfs might terrible for some applications such as databases. But I don't know.
      Contrary to popular belief, most people don't use databases on their desktops. ;-)

Comment

I love Fedora, I really do, but the biggest con I have noticed is being able to find and install software from repositories, not just websites that happen to have an RPM version. Plenty of things I use frequently are hard to find and I miss the AUR so much. Namely VS Code/Atom, Discord, Bitwarden, Teams, Chrome (available from the website), TeamViewer, etc. I feel like Fedora would be a very excellent operating system that I could use on a daily basis if there was more software availability for it.

Comment

Doesn't stop Facebook of using it. I guess Facebook can be considered as the largest dynamic Database on earth.

..some facebook posts are really waste of time reading them but none the less if btrfs would be as unreliable and bad as portrait by some folks, facebook would have already swapped it for another FS.

But to be fair I don't know if they use it for all their Database Servers.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
            I love Fedora, I really do, but the biggest con I have noticed is being able to find and install software from repositories, not just websites that happen to have an RPM version. Plenty of things I use frequently are hard to find and I miss the AUR so much. Namely VS Code/Atom, Discord, Bitwarden, Teams, Chrome (available from the website), TeamViewer, etc. I feel like Fedora would be a very excellent operating system that I could use on a daily basis if there was more software availability for it.
            You can get Discord and Teams on Fedora via Flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Doesn't stop Facebook of using it. I guess Facebook can be considered as the largest dynamic Database on earth.

..some facebook posts are really waste of time reading them but none the less if btrfs would be as unreliable and bad as portrait by some folks, facebook would have already swapped it for another FS.

Maybe Facebook only use a very limited subset of the functionality offered by Btrfs, so for them it works very reliable because they never do anything, they never use chmod, fsck, mount, unmount or restart or anything, all they do is read and write and have infinite uptime.

Comment

Absolutely maximum RAW iops isn't always what is needed. Ease of use, like snapshots, volume management but also integrity checking is also important. Most people do not enable checksums in their databases, this means corruptions can go unnoticed!

Besides. Btrfs seems to rather good in SQLite benchmarks, so the myth doens't hold that well any more.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also, there are usually better ways to deal with the performance issues. Enabling WAL in SQLite yields 300% performance increase on Btrfs, further solidifying its lead over ext4. https://wiki.tnonline.net/w/Blog/SQL...mance_on_Btrfs

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

One thing they discovered when switching to Btrfs was how often their hardware (such as drives and raid controllers) was causing silent corruptions. This together with its cow and snapshot abilities is what really benefited them.

A good resource: https://facebookmicrosites.github.io...-facebook.html
                  Last edited by S.Pam; 27 October 2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                    For Chrome, you just need to enable the repo from Software

Comment

Working...
                    X