Fedora 33 Released With Workstation Using Btrfs By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

Actually there are plenty of developers who run a database on their desktops - stuff like this, full power, is one of the reasons for having a desktop rather than a throttling laptop.
    "Desktop" as in opposite of "server". Not the physical device but the user interface. But I sympathize with the notion of not using laptops where desktops are better suited.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Akonadi?

The fact that SQL Server is installed on many bloatware laptops?

Applications using SQLite?
      Akonadi? Isn't that some KDE stuff? Well, KDE, … :-D

Seriously, as I wrote in https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...80#post1215480, people don't use databases, they use applications. The number of people voluntarily and knowingly using databases is really, really small. On Linux in general and on Fedora in particular, the portion of database users might be larger than say on Windows or macOS. But they are still a minority.

If you are talking about SQL Server as in MS SQL Server than I don't understand your argument. I don't think, laptops coming preinstalled with Linux and MS SQL Server are a thing. Even Windows and SQL Server doesn't seem like a realistic option.

Of course, I know some applications make use of databases for whatever reason. But that's not the responsibility of the end-users to know about the internals of the applications they use.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And from where such naive ideology comes from? Maybe it should also decide what you'll be eating next day?
        Just ask anybody what a file system is. Normal people don't know what it is, how they work or what differences there are.
        If you use Windows, iPhone or Android, you don't need to care about file systems. You shouldn't have to care about it.

Comment

Too many geeks trying to start a fire lol. This way is best. NO! This way! NO its not, this way is. The rest literally don't care.
          Last edited by ix900; 28 October 2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

People shouldn't have to know how to "use a file system". A file system should just be this thing that sits there and just does what it suppose to and be invisible, users shouldn't have to know or care about it.
            This particular filesystem has pretty advanced features, for the normal user it should be transparent, I agree.
            If you check out openSUSE, they do all this configuration automatically, like setting up default sub-volumes, mount flags, automatic snapshots and maintenance daemons.
            But again, this is not something like Ext4, Btrfs it's a whole different beast, so if you are going to complain about technical stuff, you better learn the technical stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
              I have been on F33 since beta and I must admit that it is rock solid on all of my computers that I use daily. Switched from arch/manjaro world to fedora a while ago and I am amazed with how much care has been put to package stability and quality despite being a quasi rolling release distro. Awesome work fedora devs.

I am on EXT4 LVM due to F32 prior install and I don't want to reinstall the whole system again so I will be opting out of Btrfs world and I don't think I will regret it for short or mid term. Maybe if I buy a new NVMe drive I will do a fresh reinstall and enter the Btrfs world.
              If you ever consider using Btrfs, check out Tumbleweed, they do an amazing job with Btrfs.

Comment

Just ask anybody what a file system is. Normal people don't know what it is, how they work or what differences there are.
                If you use Windows, iPhone or Android, you don't need to care about file systems. You shouldn't have to care about it.
                well ...once you have tried to put a single 4gb file on fat32 you start to care or if copying is slow or when your data is corrupted after power black out. Normal people then usually blame the computerhardware (or the os) for this, but in fact sometimes it is the fs. If they would know they would care.
                But in the best case you should not care about it.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

well ...once you have tried to put a single 4gb file on fat32 you start to care or if copying is slow or when your data is corrupted after power black out. Normal people then usually blame the computerhardware (or the os) for this, but in fact sometimes it is the fs. If they would know they would care.
                  But in the best case you should not care about it.
                  Nobody uses FAT32, just like nobody uses Pentium II or Windows 95.
                  Data doesn't get corrupted on power black out on NTFS or ext4, that happens on Btrfs.

Comment

People going to lose their data! 😱
                    if they will stick to non-checksumming fs like ext4
                    Also I think maybe Btrfs might terrible for some applications such as databases. But I don't know.
                    smart people mark database files non-cow

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                      I love Fedora, I really do, but the biggest con I have noticed is being able to find and install software from repositories, not just websites that happen to have an RPM version.
                      those websites usually also have repositories
                      Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                      Plenty of things I use frequently are hard to find and I miss the AUR
                      well, someone has to repackage rpms from websites into aur, but i don't see how it is a benefit

Comment

Working...
                      X