No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 Installer Might Allow EXT4 Encryption Without LVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You already have support for EXT4 per-directory encryption (via fscrypt) without LUKS, LVM or any other intermediate layers. You even have libpam-fscrypt to do key-unwrapping for you on logon, just a set-up is manual as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      It's probably a stupid question but I don't know anything about it. Is it possible to encrypt individual folders in Ubuntu? Is there like a GUI program or anything? Thank you all in advance.
      There is, Ubuntu used ecryptfs for the longest time to enable home folder encryption for each individual user. Arch has a good guide on it as usual: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ECryptfs

Comment

... encrypt individual folders in Ubuntu? ...
        Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        ... archive ...
        That sounds inconvenient, ecryptfs-utils permits transparent use.
        losetup/cryptsetup can also be used.

Comment

Hilarious Hyena

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I just do it in the terminal by first making a .tar archive of the folder, then compressing it, and finally encrypting it with gpg. There are probably graphical applications out there that will accomplish the same thing, but not in an out of the box Ubuntu install I don't think.

Three simple steps to password protect a FOLDER (second step is optional, but usually it makes sense to also compress the archive):
            Code:
            tar -cvf FOLDER.tar FOLDER
            xz --compress FOLDER.tar
            gpg -c FOLDER.tar.xz
            And to decrypt:
            Code:
            gpg -d FOLDER.tar.xz.gpg >> FOLDER.tar.xz
            The compressed archive can then be opened with a GUI application if you prefer, or it can be unpacked in the terminal:
            Code:
            xz --decompress FOLDER.tar.xz
            tar -xvf FOLDER.tar
            That's cute.
            KDE Plasma has this built-in - it's called Plasma Vault.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

That's cute.
              KDE Plasma has this built-in - it's called Plasma Vault.
              Yes, Plasma Vault is very comfortable and simple to use, I use it on all my systems.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
                21.04 ?

Animal names beginning with "H" are open.

- horse
                - hamster
                ... hornbill
                - hen
                Where is the bookie, with the form guide? What were the previous names? Then we need the graphic, the sounds, etc to comply with the name.

Comment

Surprised that Linux seems to not have this yet. According to another Linux database, there are only six (6) Linux operating systems that specialized in "security" or "privacy".
                  1. Tails, 2. Linux Kodachi, 3. Septor, 4. Whonix, 5. Trusted End Node Security, and 6. Secure-K OS.
                  All six are based on Debian. None seem to offer disk nor partition encryption. Not even: "Trusted End Node Security (TENS)", which is " produced by the United States of America's Department of Defence and is part of that organization's Software Protection Initiative."

A quick study showed that none offered hardware or disk encryption. From memory, if you choose to have BTRFS or Microsoft NTFS partitions, then the whole partition can be encrypted. On my latest Dell notebook computer and USB portable storage containers, the hardware storage can be encrypted.

Microsoft Windows, in very sharp contrast, has very many encryption programs.

Comment

According to another Linux database, there are only six (6) Linux operating systems that specialized in "security" or "privacy".
                    1. Tails, 2. Linux Kodachi, 3. Septor, 4. Whonix, 5. Trusted End Node Security, and 6. Secure-K OS.
                    All six are based on Debian. None seem to offer disk nor partition encryption. Not even: "Trusted End Node Security (TENS)", which is " produced by the United States of America's Department of Defence and is part of that organization's Software Protection Initiative."

A quick study showed that none offered hardware or disk encryption. From memory, if you choose to have BTRFS or Microsoft NTFS partitions, then the whole partition can be encrypted. On my latest Dell notebook computer and USB portable storage containers, the hardware storage can be encrypted.

Microsoft Windows, in very sharp contrast, has very many encryption programs.

Comment

It's probably a stupid question but I don't know anything about it. Is it possible to encrypt individual folders in Ubuntu? Is there like a GUI program or anything? Thank you all in advance.
                      SiriKali. Multiplatform, configurable, supports GNOME keyring & KWallet, recognizes storages created with Plasma Vault.

Comment

Working...
                      X