Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 21.04 Installer Might Allow EXT4 Encryption Without LVM

Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.04 Installer Might Allow EXT4 Encryption Without LVM

Ubuntu for many years has allowed EXT4 file-system encryption when making use of LVM management but for Ubuntu 21.04 it's looking to offer the file-system encryption without having to go through LVM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

21.04 ?

Animal names beginning with "H" are open.

- horse
    - hamster
    - hare
    - hedgehog
    - heron
    - hippopotamus
    - hoopoe
    - hummingbird
    - hyena
    - hartebeest
    - hawk
    - hornbill
    - hen

Comment

TPM unlock is sweet, it's already possible with 18.04 and 20.04, thanks to the awesome fellas at Red Hat via the Clevis project.

Enterprise Ubuntu development environment with Active Directory integration - noobient/noobuntu

Comment

It's probably a stupid question but I don't know anything about it. Is it possible to encrypt individual folders in Ubuntu? Is there like a GUI program or anything? Thank you all in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
          21.04 ?

- horse
          - hamster
          - hare
          - hedgehog
          - heron
          - hippopotamus
          - hoopoe
          - hummingbird
          - hyena
          - hartebeest
          - hawk
          - hornbill
          - hen
          We already had a hedgehog and a heron. I personally vote for Hysterical Hammerhead.

Comment

This was passible even in ancient time - until they killed the debian install for their own shitty installer. They killed the d-i in the rc-phase of 20.04 LTS(!) even at the netinstaller. So, instead of having a few MB image, you need almost one GB - which goes 1:1 into the RAM - so it is a nogo for small VMs. And no, their Core-shit is no alternative. I'm going back to plain debian in many places again.

Comment

Encryption is nice, but I would be more happy if they would switch wireless to IWD.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

We already had a hedgehog and a heron. I personally vote for Hysterical Hammerhead.
                Nah, Horny Hamster is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  It's probably a stupid question but I don't know anything about it. Is it possible to encrypt individual folders in Ubuntu? Is there like a GUI program or anything? Thank you all in advance.
                  I just do it in the terminal by first making a .tar archive of the folder, then compressing it, and finally encrypting it with gpg. There are probably graphical applications out there that will accomplish the same thing, but not in an out of the box Ubuntu install I don't think.

Three simple steps to password protect a FOLDER (second step is optional, but usually it makes sense to also compress the archive):
                  Code:
                  tar -cvf FOLDER.tar FOLDER
                  xz --compress FOLDER.tar
                  gpg -c FOLDER.tar.xz
                  And to decrypt:
                  Code:
                  gpg -d FOLDER.tar.xz.gpg >> FOLDER.tar.xz
                  The compressed archive can then be opened with a GUI application if you prefer, or it can be unpacked in the terminal:
                  Code:
                  xz --decompress FOLDER.tar.xz
                  tar -xvf FOLDER.tar
                  Last edited by Brisse; 23 October 2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
                    21.04 ?

HippieHedgehog

Comment

Working...
                    X