Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux-Based TrueNAS SCALE Alpha Released

Phoronix: Linux-Based TrueNAS SCALE Alpha Released

The crew at iXsystems this week not only released TrueNAS 12.0 as their convergence of TrueNAS and FreeNAS, but they have also put out an alpha build of TrueNAS SCALE as their new Linux-based offering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael is your keyboard fine?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    TrueNAS SCALE will be better suited fr cluter setups.

Comment

Hm, how do they deal with OpenZFS license issues? Like Ubuntu, basically saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
        Hm, how do they deal with OpenZFS license issues? Like Ubuntu, basically saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?
        ...kernel modules don't play by the same rules. About the only thing to deal with is the bootloader situation, and that's moot if OpenZFS is limited to use as data disks.

That's like asking "Hm, how do they deal with the Nvidia license issues?".

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          That's like asking "Hm, how do they deal with the Nvidia license issues?".
          Well, proprietary nvidia drivers usually involve DKMS etc., no? That's not quite as convenient as shipping it as part of image. AFAIK Ubuntu just ships the module with the kernel nowadays - I assume truenas does the same? On RH one still needs DKMS for ZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Well, proprietary nvidia drivers usually involve DKMS etc., no? That's not quite as convenient as shipping it as part of image. AFAIK Ubuntu just ships the module with the kernel nowadays - I assume truenas does the same? On RH one still needs DKMS for ZFS.
            Again, modules don't play by the same rules as things built into the kernel. They can also provide a precompiled module on their images and for updates in their repos while also providing the dkms package for people who are running non-default/non-repo/whatever kernels that precompiled modules aren't provided for. Manjaro and Ubuntu do those. I'm not sure how TrueNAS/FreeNAS offers up OpenZFS, but I assume it's along those lines. As long as it is offered as a module and not built-in to the kernel, binary or source & included with their images or in their repos is irrelevant here, but as long as it is offered as a module and not built-in to the kernel any distribution that wants to use ZFS will be fine.

OpenZFS also offers kmod packages for Red Hat too. IMHO, DKMS is the better option since it works with all kernels and not just Red Hat's kernels. It also survives system version upgrades where kmod doesn't.

Comment

I’m currently using UnRaid for my NAS. Does anyone have a good sales pitch for me to switch to this? It’s looking pretty good and seems to have the features I want

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                I’m currently using UnRaid for my NAS. Does anyone have a good sales pitch for me to switch to this? It’s looking pretty good and seems to have the features I want
                The spiffy GUI and use of OpenZFS. If those don't sell it, I don't know what will.

I'm a six year OpenZFS user so that sells it for me

Comment

The GUI with unraid is pretty great and I use it to pass through one of my GPUs to a Windows VM.

Does this have some similar feature?

Comment

Working...
                  X