No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.10 Beta Released For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a discussion on potentially removing them though: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/remov...-syncs/18437/5

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

Maybe in your little echo chamber. A lot of people don't know/don't care and are happy they have a way to install their Jetbrains or whatever from the app store instead of having to install these manually as it was the case. I for one lose zero sleep over it and have a fair amount of snaps installed.
      From a packager's standpoint it does matter. Snaps are shit and will remain so, while Flatpak will improve and take over it eventually.

I also hate how Canonical still thinks they're Apple. You're using open source software, you have boxes and boxes chock full of wheels. Stop reinventing them to feel special.

Comment

Don't confuse your opinion with fact.

Comment

Will they reinstate amule ? It was a bad surprise when i upgraded my system. Would i have known i would have stayed on 18.04.

Edit: and FAH control for Folding@home was broken too.
          Last edited by Dedale; 02 October 2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
            Snaps and the like are stupid ways to solve a problem. Sure it removes library issues from an application, but it costs memory and space. And it definitely doesn't solve the security update front.
            Why not just build the library I to the application and not rely on external libraries? It is effectively the same thing and requires less overhead.

20.10 is quite stable for me. Some minor annoyances like Boinc Manager and the Boinc client breaking. But Folding@Home works well.
            Exactly. Distribution build apps against the libs they carry. And then you get a combination that is supported.

All these snaps and flatpacks are only needed by distributions to lazy to build Chromium against their libs and users who misunderstand linux for windows and want one set of binaries to work on every distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by davibu View Post
              Is Wayland the default for 20.10 or are they still pushing Wayland back?
              I really hope they've switched.
              These double efforts in implementing something in Wayland and then backporting everything to X is ridicolous, especially when it's discontinued.(like the video acceleration in Firefox)
              Not anywhere near it. Too many issues for the diversity of workflows Ubuntu users have.

Just one minute ago, I refreshed Gnome (alt+F2 then r) because Gnome was behaving again and slowing down my computer (33% CPU while I was on very light activities). Took 2 seconds and I didn't lose any current workflow. In wayland, you can shove that in your bu**, log out and log back in, losing everything you had open in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                Don't confuse your opinion with fact.
                Tell me how practical it is to have a fucking filesystem per application.

Comment

On the Ubuntu forums there is a rush to uninstall snaps, no one recommends them and the snap store is confusing new users, who no longer understand what to do. Among other things, the snap store on 20.04 works every other day, in spite of the Ubuntu QA that has always left something to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
                    Snaps and the like are stupid ways to solve a problem. Sure it removes library issues from an application, but it costs memory and space. And it definitely doesn't solve the security update front.
                    Why not just build the library I to the application and not rely on external libraries? It is effectively the same thing and requires less overhead.

20.10 is quite stable for me. Some minor annoyances like Boinc Manager and the Boinc client breaking. But Folding@Home works well.
                    Sharing dependencies between snaps has been supported since 2014 or 2015. Yes, using compressed packages does have some disadvantages, like having to uncompress them, but it also has benefits, like lower bandwidth use.

Snaps do not remove any library issues. Like Debian packages and RPMs, snaps can choose whether to use system shared libraries, to include a different set of shared libraries or to include all libraries in the package.

I don't know what «solving the security update front» means, so I can't comment, but AppArmor and SELinux definitely do improve security.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

From a packager's standpoint it does matter. Snaps are shit and will remain so, while Flatpak will improve and take over it eventually.

I also hate how Canonical still thinks they're Apple. You're using open source software, you have boxes and boxes chock full of wheels. Stop reinventing them to feel special.
                      Flatpak specifically cannot replace snaps without the same type of fundamental redesign that Snaps did. Obviously, you think that desktop apps are the only types of software used on Linux systems, but they aren't.

Comment

Working...
                      X