Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.10 Beta Released For Testing

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.10 Beta Released For Testing

The Ubuntu 20.10 "Groovy Gorilla" beta is now available for testing of Ubuntu Desktop / Cloud / Server products as well as derivatives like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu Kylin, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio, and Xubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't worry. After a decade pushing Snaps with no one ever accepting it, Canonical will give up on it and adopt Flatpaks, like they've done with everything else (Unity, Upstart, Mir, ...).

Comment

Is Wayland the default for 20.10 or are they still pushing Wayland back?
      I really hope they've switched.
      These double efforts in implementing something in Wayland and then backporting everything to X is ridicolous, especially when it's discontinued.(like the video acceleration in Firefox)

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
        Don't worry. After a decade pushing Snaps with no one ever accepting it, Canonical will give up on it and adopt Flatpaks, like they've done with everything else (Unity, Upstart, Mir, ...).
        Snaps aren't going anywhere, it's a cornerstone of their IoT offerings.

Disclaimer: I work for a company who's in talks with them about purchasing such services.

Snaps might go away in a sense that it won't be used for desktop apps, but the tech itself will definitely stay.

OTOH flatpaks are just as much of a disappointment to me. Their only appeal is that you can install apps as a user. Otherwise, it's the same kind of dependency hell. Like so:

Code:
        Name Application ID Version Branch Installation
        Slack com.slack.Slack 4.9.1 stable user
        Freedesktop Platform org.freedesktop.Platform 20.08.0 20.08 user
        default org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default 20.08 user
        nvidia-450-51-06 org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-450-51-06 1.4 user
        nvidia-450-80-02 org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.nvidia-450-80-02 1.4 user
        ffmpeg-full org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg-full 20.08 user
        openh264 org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264 2.1.0 2.0 user
        Yaru Gtk Theme org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Yaru 3.22 user
        KDE Application Platform org.kde.Platform 5.15 user
        QGnomePlatform org.kde.PlatformTheme.QGnomePlatform 5.15 user
        QtSNI org.kde.PlatformTheme.QtSNI 5.15 user
        QGnomePlatform-decoration org.kde.WaylandDecoration.QGnomePlatform-decoration 5.15 user
        Telegram Desktop org.telegram.desktop 2.4 stable user
        All that fuss for only 2 apps, Telegram and Slack. Like why do I need 2 different versions of the NV driver. On top of my native NV driver. Isn't that ridiculous? Not to mention the fact that there was a broken dependency for like a year, which "failed successfully" in the sense that I could still use my apps, but the installation always complained about it. There was a long standing bug about it of course. Also, to this day, I still can't just drag-n-drop images into the Flatpak Telegram for some stupid reason.
        Last edited by anarki2; 02 October 2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Snaps aren't going anywhere, it's a cornerstone of their IoT offerings.

Disclaimer: I work for a company who's in talks with them about purchasing such services.
          I guess he meant overall, IMO at best snaps will be the Safari of web browsers, at worst - discontinued by Canonical in the mid term, either way flatpak already won.

Comment

Fedora's next update (34) will have Wayland as the default. Hoping Ubuntu do the same with the option to switch back? Some popular applications don't support Wayland yet which is holding it back. Not sure what the latest story is with Wayland+nVidia either..

Comment

This is a good release and since it has kernel 5.8 it also includes WireGuard which was included in kernel 5.7.
              But unfortunately many GNOME shell extensions such as Dash-to-panel, Dash-to-dock and Desktop Icons have not been updated for GNOME 3.38 yet.

Comment

Snaps and the like are stupid ways to solve a problem. Sure it removes library issues from an application, but it costs memory and space. And it definitely doesn't solve the security update front.
                Why not just build the library I to the application and not rely on external libraries? It is effectively the same thing and requires less overhead.

20.10 is quite stable for me. Some minor annoyances like Boinc Manager and the Boinc client breaking. But Folding@Home works well.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                  Maybe in your little echo chamber. A lot of people don't know/don't care and are happy they have a way to install their Jetbrains or whatever from the app store instead of having to install these manually as it was the case. I for one lose zero sleep over it and have a fair amount of snaps installed.

Comment

Originally posted by davibu View Post
                    Is Wayland the default for 20.10 or are they still pushing Wayland back?
                    I really hope they've switched.
                    These double efforts in implementing something in Wayland and then backporting everything to X is ridicolous, especially when it's discontinued.(like the video acceleration in Firefox)
                    Screen sharing is still an issue, although it can be made to work here and there, but lacks app support. I'm not sure about the state of gnome wayland on nvidia at the moment, that's another big blocker. Also, in browsers only Firefox has a decent wayland native implementation, although Chromium is finally starting to come along. There might be other issues I'm not aware of that stop Ubuntu from defaulting to wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X