Fedora 33 Beta Released With Big Changes From LTO To Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michaelo2 View Post

Now you've to add CentOS Stream Between Fedora and RHEL in that picture.

Fedora -> CentOS Stream -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) -> CentOS
    CentOS Stream is more difficult. It is for next MINOR version of RHEL, nor major (!). So it looks more like:
    Fedora -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) -> CentOS -> CentOS Stream -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

CentOS Stream is more difficult. It is for next MINOR version of RHEL, nor major (!). So it looks more like:
      Fedora -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) -> CentOS -> CentOS Stream -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)
      "Rolling-release distro that tracks just ahead of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) development, positioned as a midstream between Fedora Linux and RHEL."

"CentOS Stream is an upstream development platform for ecosystem developers. It is a single, continuous stream of content with updates several times daily, encompassing the latest and greatest from the RHEL codebase. It’s a view into what the next version of RHEL will look like, available to a much broader community than just a beta or "preview" release.

The CentOS Stream project sits between the Fedora Project and RHEL in the RHEL Development process, providing a "rolling preview" of future RHEL kernels and features. This enables developers to stay one or two steps ahead of what’s coming in RHEL, which was not previously possible with traditional CentOS releases. CentOS Stream better connects ISV, IHV and other ecosystem developers to the operating system developers of the Fedora Project, shortening the feedback loop and making it easier for all voices to be heard in the creation of the next RHEL versions.
      (...)

CentOS Stream for ecosystem developers who need to see what is coming in RHEL and need to introduce changes in order to enable their hardware or software."

Today, Red Hat has introduced a new Linux development model into the CentOS community: CentOS Stream, a developer-forward, faster-moving distribution that helps community members, partners and others take full advantage of open innovation.

AFAIU CentOS Stream is the solution to open RHEL development. Until RHEL-next-major beta is released, there are no things like CI for public projects like Ansible for example. CentOS stream would help to stabilize the next RHEL. Or that's what I understand at least

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

Originally posted by CentOS
        Rolling-release distro that tracks just ahead of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) development, positioned as a midstream between Fedora Linux and RHEL. For anyone interested in participating and collaborating in the RHEL ecosystem, CentOS Stream is your reliable platform for innovation.
        According to the horse's mouth it belongs somewhere in-between Fedora and RHEL because it is using newer software than RHEL 8.X to contribute to RHEL 8.Y whereas Fedora is using much newer software and will eventually contribute to RHEL 9.X.

Fedora -> CentOS Stream -> RHEL -> CentOS

Comment

Originally posted by michaelo2 View Post
          snip

You beat me by "that" much

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

According to the horse's mouth it belongs somewhere in-between Fedora and RHEL because it is using newer software than RHEL 8.X to contribute to RHEL 8.Y whereas Fedora is using much newer software and will eventually contribute to RHEL 9.X.

Fedora -> CentOS Stream -> RHEL -> CentOS
            After attending Nest the situation has become a lot more clear. Effectively, you have Fedora doing it's thing. Then there is ELN (Enterprise Linux Next) which uses the RHEL build configs (i.e. rebuilding only the actual packages RHEL uses, etc) to continually test how Rawhide is looking for the next RHEL major release. When it's time to create a new RHEL major version, the Fedora/Rawhide/whatever segment is forked and Fedora is now out of the picture. This is now CentOS Stream and where all dev work for upcoming RHEL minor releases go into (though it probably won't be available for a .0 release, that's all Red Hat). Once a feature freeze for a beta of a minor release has been issued, that cleanup work goes offline and Stream is okay to start working on the post-minor area or wait until after minor GA. Beta then completes and Red Hat GA's a minor release. CentOS then rebuilds the RHEL release. Rinse and repeat.

Cheers,
            Mike
            Last edited by mroche; 29 September 2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Am I the only one getting this error while trying to update my Fedora 33 system?

Code:
              Problem 1: cannot install the best update candidate for package cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch
              - nothing provides cldr-emoji-annotation = 38~beta-2.fc33 needed by cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-1:38~beta-2.fc33.noarch
              Problem 2: package cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch requires cldr-emoji-annotation = 38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33, but none of the providers can be installed
              - cannot install both cldr-emoji-annotation-1:38~beta-2.fc33.noarch and cldr-emoji-annotation-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch
              - problem with installed package cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch
              - cannot install the best update candidate for package cldr-emoji-annotation-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch
              - nothing provides cldr-emoji-annotation = 38~beta-2.fc33 needed by cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-1:38~beta-2.fc33.noarch
              ================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ========
              Package Architecture Version Repository Size
              ================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ========
              Skipping packages with conflicts:
              (add '--best --allowerasing' to command line to force their upgrade):
              cldr-emoji-annotation noarch 1:38~beta-2.fc33 updates-testing 5.7 M
              Skipping packages with broken dependencies:
              cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd noarch 1:38~beta-2.fc33 updates-testing 31 k

Bug https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1882930. An update was created today:
              https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...020-456e806fab
              This should be resolved with --enablerepo=updates-testing tomorrow, and otherwise in a few days after the update goes to stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                I wonder if Fedora will ever get rid of that horrible Anaconda installer and switch to a more modern one, and also get rid of that silly Gnome and switch to Cinnamon or Mate.

And while they're at it, shoehorn MXLinux's wonderful MX Tools and package manager.

Basically remove everything that makes it a Red Hat descendant and make it into a usable, better distro,
                While I don't want to judge peoples taste about workflow and design, I hope you are aware that Cinnamon and Mint are both technically horribly behind - i.e. outdated and, as far as I know, barely catching up in many ways (most importantly Wayland, with all the implications, but AFAIK also systemd integration etc.).

Anyhow, concerning Fedora 33: apparently a great realese! I've been running a piratically identical BTRFS layout for some years now and it served me very well. But I'm also a user who actually makes use of the features, like reflinks etc.
                Last edited by treba; 29 September 2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  Fedora is the best operating system I've ever used. However, Anaconda needs some work, because it's not so user friendly. Ubuntu has advantage in this case IMO.
                  Ubuntu's installer is only good for users who only need defaults.
                  If you need any customization disasters follow.
                  I never got how to use Ubuntu 16.04's installer to put things over LVM over LUKS2, and with 1GiB /boot.

Comment

I finally got enough crap done for the day to finally do that Silverblue install. My first impression is "Damn that's a nice wallpaper. Michael's screenshot doesn't look half as good as it does on my desktop".

One issue I that think needs to be addressed before release is to tweak the part of the prompt where it says what partitions are necessary and includes Swap. Since Swap is on Zram now, that prompt is a potential source of confusion since a person doesn't actually have to have a swap partition (outside of potential sleep/hibernation reasons). Not gonna lie, something about reading about Zram Swap for F33 in the news, seeing Swap suggested in that prompt, and then not getting Swap when I clicked automatic partitioning threw me off a bit. I assumed it was left in the prompt by mistake and didn't create one since I'm on a desktop and don't really need sleep or hibernation.

I also learned the hard way that setting /boot from Ext4 to BTRFS ends up with a GRUB error after the install finishes.

I've only looked at the desktop and synced Firefox

UPDATE: Got a 2nd issue. Neither of the two Firefox options in Gnome Software Center play videos on Hulu or Netflix, even after enableing the Cisco h264 codec and enabling all the extra codecs within the GSC. What did work was using Firefox directly from Flathub. Clicked Install, synced Firefox, everything worked.

I was hoping this would have been fixed since I first encountered it my first time using SB 31.

IMHO, Fedora Silverblue shouldn't include the RPM/system version of Firefox nor should they bother building Firefox for their Fedora Flat repo. RPM/system version means adding RPMFusion and tainting the system layer and the Fedora Flat version just didn't work with Proprietary Streaming Sites for me -- I wonder if that's because they say they only support official browser builds from Google, Microsoft, or Mozilla or if RPMFusion is still needed for the Fedora Flat version -- Anyone have a clue here? Is there something obvious that I'm missing?
                    Last edited by skeevy420; 29 September 2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

linux 5.8 isn't worth mentioning, it's also powering fedora 32 and fedora 31

Comment

Working...
                      X