Fedora 33 Beta Released With Big Changes From LTO To Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    I wonder if Fedora will ever get rid of that horrible Anaconda installer and switch to a more modern one, and also get rid of that silly Gnome and switch to Cinnamon or Mate.

And while they're at it, shoehorn MXLinux's wonderful MX Tools and package manager.

Basically remove everything that makes it a Red Hat descendant and make it into a usable, better distro,
    i wonder why people claiming fedora to be unusable want to have fedora anyway. maybe what they have instead of fedora is even more unusable?

Comment

I wonder if Fedora will ever get rid of that horrible Anaconda installer and switch to a more modern one, and also get rid of that silly Gnome and switch to Cinnamon or Mate.

And while they're at it, shoehorn MXLinux's wonderful MX Tools and package manager.

Basically remove everything that makes it a Red Hat descendant and make it into a usable, better distro,
      Why a distro I'm not involved in any way with doesn't make the changes I want?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        Fedora is the best operating system I've ever used. However, Anaconda needs some work, because it's not so user friendly. Ubuntu has advantage in this case IMO.
        About Anaconda installer, it seems the topic is related to the partition set-up which is arguably the most advanced due to the fine control and different scheme convention. See https://www.zdnet.com/article/fedora...ller-anaconda/ as an example.
        As pointed out, conventional method is available as expert mode.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I finally got enough crap done for the day to finally do that Silverblue install. My first impression is "Damn that's a nice wallpaper. Michael's screenshot doesn't look half as good as it does on my desktop".

One issue I that think needs to be addressed before release is to tweak the part of the prompt where it says what partitions are necessary and includes Swap. Since Swap is on Zram now, that prompt is a potential source of confusion since a person doesn't actually have to have a swap partition (outside of potential sleep/hibernation reasons). Not gonna lie, something about reading about Zram Swap for F33 in the news, seeing Swap suggested in that prompt, and then not getting Swap when I clicked automatic partitioning threw me off a bit. I assumed it was left in the prompt by mistake and didn't create one since I'm on a desktop and don't really need sleep or hibernation.

I also learned the hard way that setting /boot from Ext4 to BTRFS ends up with a GRUB error after the install finishes.

I've only looked at the desktop and synced Firefox

UPDATE: Got a 2nd issue. Neither of the two Firefox options in Gnome Software Center play videos on Hulu or Netflix, even after enableing the Cisco h264 codec and enabling all the extra codecs within the GSC. What did work was using Firefox directly from Flathub. Clicked Install, synced Firefox, everything worked.

I was hoping this would have been fixed since I first encountered it my first time using SB 31.

IMHO, Fedora Silverblue shouldn't include the RPM/system version of Firefox nor should they bother building Firefox for their Fedora Flat repo. RPM/system version means adding RPMFusion and tainting the system layer and the Fedora Flat version just didn't work with Proprietary Streaming Sites for me -- I wonder if that's because they say they only support official browser builds from Google, Microsoft, or Mozilla or if RPMFusion is still needed for the Fedora Flat version -- Anyone have a clue here? Is there something obvious that I'm missing?
          yes!! Firefox on Linux does not have DRM enabled by default! users need to enable it via preferences because Widevine is proprietary, then Firefox will download it via Google servers and will install it.

Comment

Fantastic release other than freaking nano.

Comment

Originally posted by fedora-user View Post

yes!! Firefox on Linux does not have DRM enabled by default! users need to enable it via preferences because Widevine is proprietary, then Firefox will download it via Google servers and will install it.
              Unfortunately, that wasn't something I missed. Checked for Widevine and the Cisco codec on all of them since those two are right next to each other and the DRM setting in the options was always on by default. I wonder if that's due to me using Firefox Sync before doing anything else because it also sets my theme to dark.

But only the Flathub one was the proverbial "just worked".

Comment

Fedora is not a "bleeding edge" distribution. Definitely the charter is to make it "leading edge", but many people do quite a bit of work to ensure it isn't "bleeding edge".

Comment

given that Red Hat contributes to almost every single piece that makes a GNU/Linux distribution (starting from the kernel up to the desktop application) you'll have an hard way using something that has not been made in some way by Red Hat, proably even if you switch to other OSes!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Unfortunately, that wasn't something I missed. Checked for Widevine and the Cisco codec on all of them since those two are right next to each other and the DRM setting in the options was always on by default. I wonder if that's due to me using Firefox Sync before doing anything else because it also sets my theme to dark.

But only the Flathub one was the proverbial "just worked".
                    It’s likely due to the missing the ffmpeg-libs (and dependencies) which is only shipped in RPMFusion. Most likely the official Firefox flatpack bundles those libraries along with the application.

Cheers,
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post

It’s likely due to the missing the ffmpeg-libs (and dependencies) which is only shipped in RPMFusion. Most likely the official Firefox flatpack bundles those libraries along with the application.

Cheers,
                      Mike
                      It would have been if I was trying to get it working with the system browser. I knew that but I'm trying to not to use layered packages. On Silverblue, the more layered packages there are, the more likely of a chance of a bad update so I'm trying to use Flat-only solutions. I was surprised that the Fedora Flat Firefox didn't work, but, again, I'm wondering if that's due to Hulu/Netflix both claiming to only support official Mozilla builds or, for another guess, if the FFF build doesn't use the Flat non-free codecs. Like I said, the Flathub one "just worked".

I gotta learn to build my own system images. Can't install ZFS...I mean I can...built my first Fedora packages and everything last night and layered them with rpm-ostree...but, apparently, Silverblue prevents /lib from being tweaked even when installing layered packages so I'm gonna have to build my own system images with ZFS included to get around that lib-itation. Apparently some Virtualbox extensions can't be installed on Silverblue for that same reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X