Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 33 Beta To Be Released Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora 33 Beta To Be Released Next Week

After missing the preferred target date of 15 September and the secondary beta target date of this week, Fedora 33 Beta is now on track to ship next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has Silverblue moved to BTRFS too?

Comment

That's great news, I was expecting it to be longer.
      I have parts for a new home server coming next week and was hoping I wouldn't need to do a version upgrade a week or 2 after I had just installed it.

Comment

For anyone unaware, the release date is an announcement, but the ISOs for the beta are available now. Here's Workstation: https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt...3_Beta-1.3.iso

Normally I'd be working on a clean install of the beta right now after hearing the news, but I found in the past few weeks I can comfortably use openSUSE TW.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Yup, they had a few initial issues though. And I haven't been able to get the Fedora 33 composes to work right yet - https://silverblue.fedoraproject.org/download

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Best Fedora feature is the non-feature of delivering on desktop development and strict QA. This non-feature is hard to market. But it’s there and it’s needed.

Oh and the Workstation Desktop shines as always
            What does that mean in human terms? That they include the latest Gnome?

Btw I'll just wait for Dedoimedo's review to see if it's worth a try
            Last edited by JackLilhammers; 25 September 2020, 04:44 AM. Reason: Fixed grammar

Comment

144Hz I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I've stuff to do before I can spend my time reading 5 years of a blog just to stop being lazy in your eyes
              Last edited by JackLilhammers; 25 September 2020, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                As I recall, there were some oddities being reported with certain (non-default) configurations of Silverblue (/boot being a directory and/or a subvolume) and BTRFS (as I recall at least one of the bugs was reported as not being BTRFS specific), and various tickets against anaconda, and ostree, and probably others, have been opened (some have probably closed, as I have not been following the work closely).

Comment

I just installed Fedora 33 beta 1.3 on virtualbox. With the default partitioning I see that it created 1 btrfs partition with 2 subvolumes /home and /root and a separate ext4 partition with mount point /boot. Why did they chose to put /boot in a separate partition? I have no experience with btrfs but I searched and most people recommend /boot to be a subvolume since grub has no problem booting from btrfs. Any advantage/disadvantage?

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

What does that mean in human terms? That they include the latest Gnome?

Btw I'll just wait for Dedoimedo's review to see if it's worth a try
                    It goes back to an initiative Fedora developers started some years ago. Basically, they set out to achieve a set of goals in order to provide a truly great workstation experience, starting from the boot process and spanning many elements that, indeed, have greatly improved across distributions thanks to that very work. A lot of research in those areas has been blogged about, a lot of engineering went into actually making stuff work.
                    For example, I believe that vendors' logos extracted from UEFI started working in Plymouth thanks to that endeavour. But that's just the tip of the iceberg, various things had to fall in place before the boot experience could be flicker-free and garbage-free (garbage being random kernel text that is not at all useful, at least not to a professional who is not maintaining Fedora's kernel specifically).
                    Of course, integration with the desktop environment was, and still is part of that as well... in this case, like it or not, it means GNOME.
                    Nothing personal. My stance is that I'm simply grateful for the great experience Fedora provides nowadays to developers, tinkerers, "doers", thanks to its overall integration. Gets out of the way, works great, sensible defaults. Since it's meant to be a productive system and packages are compiled with stringent security measures in mind, thus being arguably slower (all the rest being equal), I use another one for recreation/videogames, specifically Pop!_OS, on a different storage device.

Comment

Working...
                    X