Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Based EndeavourOS Begins Providing ARM Builds

Phoronix: Arch Linux Based EndeavourOS Begins Providing ARM Builds

The Arch Linux based EndeavourOS that was born out of Antergos Linux has released new builds for September 2020 and also gotten into the ARM Linux game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And so it begins. I've been saying for a while here on Phoronix and getting grief for it by certain shitposters like starturdeleven that the age of x-86 is coming to an end by the end of this decade and Linux and FOSS app makers had better get on the ARM train quick. Apple's first Macbook with ARM CPUs will be announced this year and by the end of next year you will see the iMac and Mac Pro with ARM as well. This means Microsoft will copy Apple as they always do and will produce multiple Microsoft branded computers with ARM CPUs which of course will force Dell, HP and Lenovo to follow suit This will be easy for them as the laptop chassis they will use will be mostly what they already use for Chromebooks. Speaking of which...you're going to see a crap ton of ARM Chromebooks in 2021 and that trend will accelerate throughout the rest of the decade.

And news is breaking over at Semiaccurate.com about ARM's announcement of not only an update to their Neoverse N1 Server CPU design now called N2 but a whole new Server Platform called V1 which looks to herald the ARM design age of full interconnect coherence between Cores, inside Cores, Accelerators, GPUs, A.I. and Memory pools using their CCIX interconnect tech along with CXL which is the Intel led superset of PCIe. All of this will allow ARM to start building out Chiplet designs ala AMD Zen. This also means ARM CPUs and chiplet designs don't have to be constrained by severe thermal and power restrictions. In other words...ARM UNLEASHED !!

Here's the link to the ARM V1 platform announcement via Semiaccurate.com

Tick Tock wider Linux world and app ecosystems...the Age of ARM is here.

https://semiaccurate.com/2020/09/22/...nd-a-platform/

Last edited by Jumbotron; 23 September 2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      This means Microsoft will copy Apple as they always do and will produce multiple Microsoft branded computers with ARM CPUs which of course will force Dell, HP and Lenovo to follow suit
      This is the part I have a hard time seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        And so it begins. I've been saying for a while here on Phoronix and getting grief for it by certain shitposters like starturdeleven that the age of x-86 is coming to an end by the end of this decade and Linux and FOSS app makers had better get on the ARM train quick. Apple's first Macbook with ARM CPUs will be announced this year and by the end of next year you will see the iMac and Mac Pro with ARM as well. This means Microsoft will copy Apple as they always do and will produce multiple Microsoft branded computers with ARM CPUs which of course will force Dell, HP and Lenovo to follow suit This will be easy for them as the laptop chassis they will use will be mostly what they already use for Chromebooks. Speaking of which...you're going to see a crap ton of ARM Chromebooks in 2021 and that trend will accelerate throughout the rest of the decade.

And news is breaking over at Semiaccurate.com about ARM's announcement of not only an update to their Neoverse N1 Server CPU design now called N2 but a whole new Server Platform called V1 which looks to herald the ARM design age of full interconnect coherence between Cores, inside Cores, Accelerators, GPUs, A.I. and Memory pools using their CCIX interconnect tech along with CXL which is the Intel led superset of PCIe. All of this will allow ARM to start building out Chiplet designs ala AMD Zen. This also means ARM CPUs and chiplet designs don't have to be constrained by severe thermal and power restrictions. In other words...ARM UNLEASHED !!

Here's the link to the ARM V1 platform announcement via Semiaccurate.com Tick Tock wider Linux world and app ecosystems...the Age of ARM is here.

Today ARM launches two new server cores and a new servers platform too, say hi to the V1, N2, and V1 platforms.

I'm not sure if the entire home computing industry wants to be at NVidia's hand.

Comment

Jumbotron Macs have a teeny-tiny 13% market share for desktops and laptops. Very few people care what processors their inferior products use.

And my goodness, moving to ARM processors will only assure their market share deteriorates even further.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Why? Microsoft actually makes a PC line with some ARM devices, various Surfaces, and those ARM ones have never been that popular. They even come with custom ARM CPUs now-a-days.

Problem is -- No one really wants an non-x86 Windows device that isn't a Windows Phone because we don't expect our phone to play Skyrim or to run Photoshop so they've never been popular. Unless they (meaning anyone) come out with damn good virtualization and/or emulation stack that can run most x86 code at near native speeds on ARM, ARM won't be a 100% viable replacement for x86 devices anytime soon. x86 basically means 30+ years of proprietary software and games that no one wants to give up.

The reason ARM and Linux work so well is they both fill the same niche of "doesn't rely on the aforementioned 30+ years of proprietary software and games". Walled-garden Apple has changed architectures and dropped so much software over they years that their users don't care when it happens anymore. Microsoft, OTOH, has always been into ensuring old software runs on newer operating systems so their users expect all that software to work when they buy a Microsoft computer. Unless they come up with that magical stack, MS ARM devices will only ever be useful to "I can has MS Word and E Mail" users.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              Jumbotron Macs have a teeny-tiny 13% market share for desktops and laptops. Very few people care what processors their inferior products use.

And my goodness, moving to ARM processors will only assure their market share deteriorates even further.
              Their users are sadists. Apple has changed architectures and dropped software compatibility enough times that their users like the pain.

Comment

It is time to push powerpc ...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Ever heard of the Microsoft Surface X or the Duo ?

Seeing is believing my friend. Once Microsoft has to make an ARM based version of Office for Mac... (which they already have)...it'll be a cinch for a Windows based version. Once the other x86 centric hardware makers know they can sell a super power efficient and even skinnnier laptop that runs Windows AND Office on ARM using the same hardware platform that they are making for Chromebooks you'll see the market flood with ARM based Windows laptops and eventually desktops.

Here's some reading material. Not only has the Age of MacOS on ARM begun...the Age of Windows on ARM has begun.

Microsoft has today announced a partnership with Qualcomm under which the company will extend the App Assure with FastTrack testing platform to developers working on developing apps to run well on ARM-based Windows 10. The App Assure with FastTrack program from Microsoft is available to qualify developers or customers without any cost. For those who […]

Following the announcement about porting OpenJDK to Windows 10 on ARM devices, Microsoft today revealed that it will bring WPF support to Windows 10 ARM in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

I'm not sure if the entire home computing industry wants to be at NVidia's hand.
                    Too late. Nvidia already rules PC Gaming GPU market share. They are in every Nintendo Switch sold worldwide as well. And after their acquisition of ARM they will indirectly be in every device that makes up THE largest video game hardware platform ever devised by man....phones and tablets.

Comment

Working...
                    X