Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 Change To Further Compress Install Media Rejected Due To Install Time Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
    Joke's on you. Potent distributions are able to have both the local install media and a network location as a repository, pulling updates as-needed so that, after initial installation, there are 0 updates proposed by the package manager.
    That's so cool!!! So I can download an entire repository, write it to a thumb drive and have it all ignored by the installer because every package has a .0.0.1 update to go and download it again anyway? Man computers are so convenient these days.

I'm actually just happy if the Distro v(N-1) installer is smart enough to notice that Distro vN is available. I keep my install media in a box in a drawer, please don't make me update it every time I need to use it...

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
      SquashFS does not support Zstandard AFAIK.
      it does.

Comment

XZ sucks for compressing the live ISO. I've tried it - it makes booting extremely slow - doesn't matter what your boot media is - USB or DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
          SquashFS does not support Zstandard AFAIK.
          Compressors available and compressor specific options:
          gzip (default)
          lzma (no options)
          lzo
          lz4
          xz
          zstd

-- man mksquashfs

Comment

Hrm I guess my information is outdated. Most routers use SquashFS with LZMA.

Comment

fact is, Fedora Devs dont care that people or there users have limited download bandwidth, so they'll make the DVD bigger again with more bloat .

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                fact is, Fedora Devs dont care that people or there users have limited download bandwidth, so they'll make the DVD bigger again with more bloat .
                Fedora-Server-netinst-x86_64-32-1.6.iso : 709,885,952 bytes.

Comment

Y'all need to get off the limited bandwidth horse since most every distribution provides some sort of minimal install media. Intentionally limiting the full release because it doesn't fit on the common media from 10-20 years ago is just dumb.

I'm glad they didn't stick with slow-as-molasses XZ. The amount of space saved isn't worth the hassle and posts from all the (dumb) people thinking their system froze up when they're just waiting on the decompressor.

Comment

Some numbers being talked about in the proposal were saving around 142MiB for a roughly 6.5% longer install time.
                    This right here tells you everything you need to know about why Fedora sucks. These guys are debating minutia of trying to save 142MiB from the install ISO and worrying about increasing the install time by 6.5%, how about getting rid of that archaic installer altogether and replace it with calamares or something similar where you can install the OS in 5 minutes flat.

Comment

I think Fedora does not need to compress the install media for it to get smaller. It just need to get rid of all the bloat apps. Seriously, it's as bad as Android phones nowadays. Why does the desktop have to come filled with apps I don't need when there's an App Store right there!? The first thing I do right after installing Fedora Workstation is to remove every app and then install the Flatpaks of whatever I actually need. Even Firefox goes, as Mozilla themselves now maintain the package on Flathub, and I would rather get my browser straight from it's developers.
                      Last edited by jntesteves; 15 September 2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X