Mark Shuttleworth Now Plans To Restore Ubuntu's Community Council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
    But it's not even close to a popular desktop Linux OS.
    Yeah, it can actually run Firefox and Chrome with hardware acceleration since years ago, and applications like Netflix or other streaming or sharing services work without bullshit, there are notifications and other integrations. Oh wait, you mean in a negative way?

I never denied that you could use Android as a desktop OS, but no one does that because it would be stupid.
    Yeah it only does 99% of what desktop do.

You cannot develop or run workstation applications, but then again, what is the percentage of end users that actually need that?

And ChromeOS is not Android in the same way that BlackBerry's BB10 OS is not Android. Both have a layer that allows for Android applications to run.
    I said, ChromeOS is as close as Android as it can be. In its current form all non-browser functionality has been dropped in favor of using Android apps, it's just a custom GUI for Android with an integrated browser.

Whether it's an application running natively (or close to native), an emulation layer, or a virtual machine, it doesn't matter. If I install Ubuntu and run a Windows VM, that's still a point for Ubuntu.
    Uhm, that's some weird logic.
    If you are still running Windows in a VM, that's a point for Windows. You are paying a license for it, and you cannot use your applications without it.
    How is that a win for the host system?
    Who cares what the host system even is, if most (or all in the case of ChromeOS) your applications are run in the VM?

And if you count the emulation layer
    There is no emulation layer, it is a straight Android OS userspace, running with the same kernel as the main system. It's more similar to a container with full access to your data and storage.

So, once again, don't be silly.
    I'm right and you know it, you just don't want to admit it.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 September 2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I'm right and you know it, you just don't want to admit it.
      Send me a video of yourself using Android as a desktop Linux OS, or how about anyone else for that matter.

You can't, because no one does it.

Everything else you said was nonsense that I can't seem to follow. "Oh wait, you mean in a negative way?" What are you talking about? Do you like having conversation with yourself?

The conversation started when talking about POPULAR DESKTOP LINUX Operating Systems. If you think it's Android, you're retarded. You can count ChromeOS, since that's a desktop Linux OS that is popular, although it is super locked down. You can't count Android because no one installs Android to their PC and then uses it for anything other than playing movies on their TV.
      Last edited by lyamc; 15 September 2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
        Said no one ever except for the GNOME marketing department.
        What else can you ask when GNOME Shell minimalistic approach allows ordinary users to easily navigate to their favourite applications? Once you put aside your bias view about your ideal desktop environment and use GNOME Shell in an open manner, maybe your perception will change.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
          What else can you ask when GNOME Shell minimalistic approach allows ordinary users to easily navigate to their favourite applications?
          That sounds like another marketing quote! You work for the GNOME marketing dept., don't you?
          Because in fact, using GNOME Shell is a lot like placing a bunch of hedgehogs in front of the keyboard: it looks cute but makes it more difficult to use the computer..

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            What else can you ask when GNOME Shell minimalistic approach allows ordinary users to easily navigate to their favourite applications?
            Pfft, even Android has launchers (the GUI app) that have app drawers (the page with all the icons of the apps) that support tabs or advanced ordering.
            While of course you still can launch all applications you know the name of if you write its name in the search bar, just like if you had a terminal open.

Comment

Working...
            X