Mark Shuttleworth Now Plans To Restore Ubuntu's Community Council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eltomito View Post

Well unlike Ubuntu, Fedora doesn't offer you choice. All you get is GNOME Shell which not everybody likes. Personally, I find it cringeworthy, as if somebody tried to design the most horrible user interface imaginable while maintaining a surface pretense of user friendliness. But that's just me. You know, different people like different things. Therefore choice, not Fedora.
    Not sure what you mean, Fedora Spins are a thing, and Fedora themselves support custom Spins so much as to create official tools and guides on how to make them. It's just the same as any of the *buntu derivatives.

Comment

Originally posted by behrangsa View Post
      If the council proceeds to decouple snap from apt, or even better -- adopt flatpak, then that's very good news.
      The mandate of the Ubuntu Community Council is to arbitrate non-technical community disputes and recognize community contribution. It is not a technical committee that makes technical decisions on what technical direction the technology goes in.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

The mandate of the Ubuntu Community Council is to arbitrate non-technical community disputes and recognize community contribution. It is not a technical committee that makes technical decisions on what technical direction the technology goes in.
        Sounds like a great place to put some SJWs, I'm not sure if I should be happy or scared that Shuttleworth is bringing it back.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
          The illusion of a democracy in a corporation. That sounds so cute. I wish the luck.
          Exa..*muffled full mouth of popcorn noises*. *GULP* Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
            Well unlike Ubuntu, Fedora doesn't offer you choice.
            Visit https://getfedora.org/ and see the variety of choices from desktop environment (https://spins.fedoraproject.org/) to purpose bundled software (https://labs.fedoraproject.org/)

All you get is GNOME Shell which not everybody likes.
            Same applies for any desktop environment. Fedora is known for using GNOME as the default desktop environment in the Workstation Edition. As pointed out, user can customize their environment post installation or doing network installation for advanced users as long they have fast network. https://alt.fedoraproject.org/

Personally, I find it cringeworthy, as if somebody tried to design the most horrible user interface imaginable while maintaining a surface pretense of user friendliness.
            GNOME Shell user interface is easy to navigate and the learning curve is fairly short considering the minimalistic approach and the emphasis of using keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Chromebooks as I said. They have Android layer now while the "chrome apps" have been retired.
              First, no you said Android.

Second, by that logic then Windows 10 will soon be the most popular Linux OS since it has WSL which could be considered the same thing.

Don't be silly

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                Visit https://getfedora.org/ and see the variety of choices from desktop environment (https://spins.fedoraproject.org/) to purpose bundled software (https://labs.fedoraproject.org/)
                I didn't know about that! Thanks for telling me! Well, that makes my point invalid, at least if these Fedora spins work as well as the Ubuntu ones.

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                GNOME Shell user interface is easy to navigate and the learning curve is fairly short considering the minimalistic approach and the emphasis of using keyboard.
                Said no one ever except for the GNOME marketing department.

Comment

Gnome has to be one of the best pieces of software with the worst defaults

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                    First, no you said Android.
                    Android works fine as desktop OS, ChromeOS is just the most common way it is used as desktop.
                    You can use also Android mediaboxes/miniPCs for that. It's not like ChromeOS adds anything to Android, it's just a web browser on a kernel. All the non-web-browser functionality of modern Chromebooks comes by installing Android apps, so is it really ChromeOS anymore or is it just a slightly customized Android OS?

Second, by that logic then Windows 10 will soon be the most popular Linux OS since it has WSL which could be considered the same thing.
                    Wrong. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a Linux kernel used in an Android device and a Linux kernel used in a Chromebook.
                    The Android subsystem is a permanent part of ChromeOS using the same kernel, there is no VMs.
                    It also is not an optional component you can choose to install or remove. Especially since they have ditched the "Chrome Apps", so Chrome is back to being a web browser only.

On the other hand, WSL is a true VM with a Linux kernel inside, while the host is Hyper-V/Windows, and you need paravirtualization and whatnot to integrate them.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 September 2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Android works fine as desktop OS
                      But it's not even close to a popular desktop Linux OS.

I never denied that you could use Android as a desktop OS, but no one does that because it would be stupid.

And ChromeOS is not Android in the same way that BlackBerry's BB10 OS is not Android. Both have a layer that allows for Android applications to run.

Whether it's an application running natively (or close to native), an emulation layer, or a virtual machine, it doesn't matter. If I install Ubuntu and run a Windows VM, that's still a point for Ubuntu.

And if you count the emulation layer, then it's dishonest to dismiss the virtualization layer in Windows that lets me (gasp) sudo apt update from Ubuntu repos, because that's also a win for Ubuntu.

So, once again, don't be silly.

Comment

Working...
                      X