Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacefish
    replied
    Microsoft is actively pushing large corps into hybrid azure domains with "password less login" (Hello for business)..
    In the end it´s device attestation via TPM modules and multi factor authentication via their cloud service..
    Doesn´t work on linux, as you can´t get a device attestation token.. / there is no device attestation client for Linux (there is for android/ios called microsoft Intune).
    They have a lot of incentives for businesses to adopt their cloud MFA and so on, most of their cloud services can be configured in such a way, that they can only be accessed from "trusted devices" (device attestation).. This seems to be the default config..

Thereby locking you out of most things like Office 365, Teams, Sharepoint and so on, if you dare to use a Linux base PC, as the login will work, but access will be denied as your are accessing the service from an "untrusted device".

Guess this is their plan to create a vendor lock and selling it to corporate IT departments as a security feature.

Leave a comment:

• om26er
    replied
    Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Or... how about just DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING anymore.
    We already have debian for that, sounds like you should be using that instead.

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    Since this is a dev/Non-LTS release, giving a shit about it one way or another isn't the point. Testing it is.

Leave a comment:

• Chris256
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    What are you talking about, MNC will hire anyone. It's the small companies that are more focused where you can put your skills to good use.
    So true. Based on my experience you need only two skills to flourish in a MNC:
    The ability to produce lots and lots of hot air and the ability to identify the posteriors which you have to crawl into.
    In some MNCs being a psycopath is a huge bonus as well.

I've been working in two MNCs so far (avionics/automotive, both safety related), and the kind of work i had there was a complete joke, not to mention the absurd bureaucracy hell. I won't go into details or i'll rant for hours; All i can say is that i really don't want to sit in a new plane or car anymore, only stuff that has been "tested in public" for a couple of years at least...

Of course there might be MCNs that do it better, my experiences are a small sample overall, so i wouldn't mind hearing of more positive examples.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    ...bleh, who am I trying to kid. I'm stuck with small companies because I don't have the skills and qualifications needed to break into an MNC.
    What are you talking about, MNC will hire anyone. It's the small companies that are more focused where you can put your skills to good use.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Joining AD? bah - the 90's called and wants its tech back

#BeyondCorp FTW :P

(now to figure how out to actually implement it and implement it well :P)

Leave a comment:

• zoomblab
    replied
    I have worked in a dozen of companies. At one Linux was the default OS for all workstations (besides secretary office), others accepted a Linux environment if I asked for it and all have had Linux servers of one form or another.

However in every business I have ever been, *all* used Active Directory and Exchange. I believe this is a space that MS still maintains a healthy monopoly. In fact, I also believe that a huge reason that MS has significant desktop share is the integration windows has with AD and Exchange. It is so convenient for the administrators to control the whole organization workstation fleet from a centralized point. And the OS provides integrated GUIs for each and all the interactions with the services - imagine that!

Anyway if this feature is done correctly, I suppose it will be super useful.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Good luck with corporate environments.
    It always comes down to corporate IP departments and their IT policy, unfortunately. When I did an internship at an MNC in 2016, we were all issued Windows XP laptops because 'the IT dept said so'. I was really tempted to pop the HDD out and replace it with my own HDD so that I could load up Vista SP2 or Win 7, but that would require requesting for their help to rejoin the machine to the domain, which will definitely get me into trouble over 'unauthorized modification of the company's IT assets'.

That's why I work for small companies that allow BYOD. While other people use old consumer-grade Acer laptops loaded with Windows, I get to use my Debian laptops without any complaints as long as I get my job done when it matters. Can't do that in large companies or MNCs.

...bleh, who am I trying to kid. I'm stuck with small companies because I don't have the skills and qualifications needed to break into an MNC.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 07 September 2020, 08:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by lectrode View Post
    simplified AD integration is very useful when pushing the use of linux in corporate environments. it will be interesting to see the finished product
    Good luck with corporate environments. Just today I was told I can't use a version of Win10 that includes WSL(2), because I'm already using "the latest stable version". Some 2017 version, that is

Leave a comment:

• lectrode
    replied
    simplified AD integration is very useful when pushing the use of linux in corporate environments. it will be interesting to see the finished product

Leave a comment:

Working...
X