Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.10 Adding Active Directory Support To The Installer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 20.10 Adding Active Directory Support To The Installer

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.10 Adding Active Directory Support To The Installer

    The "Ubiquity" installer used by the Ubuntu desktop is set to feature Active Directory (AD) integration with the upcoming Ubuntu 20.10 release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tive-Directory

  • #2
    Or... how about just DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING anymore. Seriously, anything Canonical touches breaks down. I'm in the middle of porting the 18.04 playbooks to 20.04 and the better part of today was wasted on figuring out how to get sssd & realmd to finally join a comp to the darn domain. It's incredible really, no matter how broken it is, in the next release they always manage to break it some more.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is amazing!

      Where did this work come from? Is it from Debian or something developed by Canonical?

      Either way, this is amazing for using Ubuntu in the enterprise, at your workplace.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        This is amazing!

        Where did this work come from? Is it from Debian or something developed by Canonical?

        Either way, this is amazing for using Ubuntu in the enterprise, at your workplace.
        Well I mean the sssd stuff has been working for a very long time I think, they're just hooking it up to an installer gui.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Either way, this is amazing for using Ubuntu in the enterprise, at your workplace.
          Yes, really amazing. Did the same thing with YaST under Suse, dead simple. Must have been in '06 or something.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            Or... how about just DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING anymore. Seriously, anything Canonical touches breaks down. I'm in the middle of porting the 18.04 playbooks to 20.04 and the better part of today was wasted on figuring out how to get sssd & realmd to finally join a comp to the darn domain. It's incredible really, no matter how broken it is, in the next release they always manage to break it some more.
            I personally didn't have any troubles going from 18.04 to 20.04. Didn't need any patching, our old sssd config still works....

            Comment


            • #7
              simplified AD integration is very useful when pushing the use of linux in corporate environments. it will be interesting to see the finished product

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lectrode View Post
                simplified AD integration is very useful when pushing the use of linux in corporate environments. it will be interesting to see the finished product
                Good luck with corporate environments. Just today I was told I can't use a version of Win10 that includes WSL(2), because I'm already using "the latest stable version". Some 2017 version, that is

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bug77 View Post

                  Good luck with corporate environments.
                  It always comes down to corporate IP departments and their IT policy, unfortunately. When I did an internship at an MNC in 2016, we were all issued Windows XP laptops because 'the IT dept said so'. I was really tempted to pop the HDD out and replace it with my own HDD so that I could load up Vista SP2 or Win 7, but that would require requesting for their help to rejoin the machine to the domain, which will definitely get me into trouble over 'unauthorized modification of the company's IT assets'.

                  That's why I work for small companies that allow BYOD. While other people use old consumer-grade Acer laptops loaded with Windows, I get to use my Debian laptops without any complaints as long as I get my job done when it matters. Can't do that in large companies or MNCs.

                  ...bleh, who am I trying to kid. I'm stuck with small companies because I don't have the skills and qualifications needed to break into an MNC.
                  Last edited by Sonadow; 09-07-2020, 08:36 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have worked in a dozen of companies. At one Linux was the default OS for all workstations (besides secretary office), others accepted a Linux environment if I asked for it and all have had Linux servers of one form or another.

                    However in every business I have ever been, *all* used Active Directory and Exchange. I believe this is a space that MS still maintains a healthy monopoly. In fact, I also believe that a huge reason that MS has significant desktop share is the integration windows has with AD and Exchange. It is so convenient for the administrators to control the whole organization workstation fleet from a centralized point. And the OS provides integrated GUIs for each and all the interactions with the services - imagine that!

                    Anyway if this feature is done correctly, I suppose it will be super useful.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X