Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux From Scratch 10.0 Released For Rolling Your Own Linux Installation From Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux From Scratch 10.0 Released For Rolling Your Own Linux Installation From Source

Phoronix: Linux From Scratch 10.0 Released For Rolling Your Own Linux Installation From Source

Just over twenty years after the Linux From Scratch project was started as a guide/book to building all of the software components manually from source, Linux From Scratch 10.0 has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The book is great even without installing LFS, because it helps with decoding interdependencies and seeing what packages are most essential, as well as providing some of the most concise documentation for basic features.

Comment

LFS: Because Gentoo is for n00bs.

[It's a joke for the humor-impaired]

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        LFS: Because Gentoo is for n00bs.

[It's a joke for the humor-impaired]
        LFS is simple and straightforward. Takes a lot of time, but it's easier in a lot of ways than installing gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

LFS is simple and straightforward. Takes a lot of time, but it's easier in a lot of ways than installing gentoo.
          Everything is easier, when focus is to just get the work done, without thinking of quality. In software development, it's easy to write unstructured heavily-hardcoded spaghetti code, that just works, but it's worthless code from extensibility and maintainability aspect.

Comment

I'd like that they add procedures for building a 100% LLVM-musl Linux distribution.

Comment

It's been a while since I last looked at that... I used to use LFS for my regular desktop system for many years, learned an awful lot about building software, shell scripting, etc. But it eventually just became too much work... wasn't really learning anything new from the process, and despite extensive automation, it was taking too much time and effort. Ended up moving to Fedora about 6 years ago...

Comment

LFS is indispensable as a resource for instructions on building various FOSS projects or utilities and their required dependencies. It contains lots of information on how to build these projects, with more detailed explanations than those projects' own README and INSTALL files.

I have always depended on LFS documentation to build a working versions of OpenSSL, GnuTLS, Node, Rust, Python 3 and LibreOffice, among many others.
                Last edited by Sonadow; 02 September 2020, 05:34 AM.

Comment

As with ArchWiki and the Gentoo pedant - those Documentations are really good even operating on other distros. I have learned alot by reading them.

Comment

LFS is great experience to learn auctual inner workings of the Linux infrastructure.

Everyone trying to understand Gentoo should do C/LFS and and write scripts to automate the job.
                    With C/LFS, one has to be prepared to roll the sleeves and DIY through the steps that don't work "as advertised".
                    Versions change quickly and this triggers change in patches, needed configure options etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X