X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    It's interesting that the install time increase is a fixed value regardless of hardware.
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Good point. I am also annoyed when there's lack of technical detail on technical matters like this. I'm guessing it's because XZ defaults to a single thread...
    Didn't read everything but quite sure that's not what was said. The hardware will have to work harder. Its rather simple to understand.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    It's interesting that the install time increase is a fixed value regardless of hardware.
    Good point. I am also annoyed when there's lack of technical detail on technical matters like this. I'm guessing it's because XZ defaults to a single thread. You can set options via the "XZ_DEFAULTS" variable. I would like to know if there was any investigation on changing this parameter and testing it on "slow" and "fast" machines. Additionally using XZ would increase RAM requirements depending on compression level that was used. Worse case probably 64MB extra RAM required.

Time for pocket calculators to shine. The slower the device, the better. If it takes 2 weeks for a "normal" install, 2 weeks + 24 seconds makes no difference. Can't wait to see how it works on my abacus.
    Never go full exaggeration. Michael explicitly mentions the reason. The idea is to save network bandwidth. There's obviously a balance between bandwidth cost and installation time, it's very reasonable to me to save on those costs since it's a free service. The only place where this could hurt is if someone is doing CI where they install multiple times every day. I doubt many people do this, most use cloud images.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    It's interesting that the install time increase is a fixed value regardless of hardware. Time for pocket calculators to shine. The slower the device, the better. If it takes 2 weeks for a "normal" install, 2 weeks + 24 seconds makes no difference. Can't wait to see how it works on my abacus.

Leave a comment:

• Fedora 34 Aims To Shrink Its Install Media By Ramping Up Compression

Phoronix: Fedora 34 Aims To Shrink Its Install Media By Ramping Up Compression

While Fedora 33 hasn't even been released yet, Fedora 34 is already seeing new feature proposals...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X