Fedora 33 LTO Support Is Now In Good Shape For Faster, Smaller Packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 33 LTO Support Is Now In Good Shape For Faster, Smaller Packages

Phoronix: Fedora 33 LTO Support Is Now In Good Shape For Faster, Smaller Packages

Fedora's plans to make use of link-time optimizations (LTO) by default with the GCC compiler when building Fedora 33 packages is looking like it will successfully pan out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be great if Ubuntu would do the same.

Comment

I hope they figure out https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1849165 in time - building FF with both LTO and PGO was quite a win when it worked AFAIK.

Comment

Waiting for BTRFS customization on the installer.

Comment

"Faster, smaller"? Not always (to either; another "your mileage WILL vary" case), but on average this will be a win.

And it has (as was sort of expected) resulted in a couple of new bugs being identified against GCC, which will help not only Fedora in the future (allowing some of the remaining packages that are currently exempted to be built LTO), but the GCC project itself which helps others.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            It would be great if Ubuntu would do the same.
            I fully expect LTO will be the new normal for most distros at some point now that SUSE Tumbleweed and Fedora have moved there for the majority of packages and are pushing for the fixes for the remaining (packages and GCC, as appropriate). Clearly those using Ubuntu should start asking their Canonical TME about whether it is currently in plan for 22.04, and which interim release might include the changes (21.xx?).

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              I hope they figure out https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1849165 in time - building FF with both LTO and PGO was quite a win when it worked AFAIK.
              If the GCC bug is not resolved soon-ish, a proposed fallback is to move to using LLVM, which will get one the equivalent improvements (and, as I recall, Mozilla is using LLVM for their nightly Firefox builds, so it is expected to just build).

Comment

Mozilla is using Clang/LLVM for ALL their builds, for quite a some time already. You can check it in their builds by going to about:buildconfig.
                And they're both LTO and PGO
                Last edited by Tvashtar; 19 August 2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tvashtar View Post
                  Mozilla is using Clang/LLVM for ALL their builds, for quite a some time already. You can check it in their builds by going to about:buildconfig.
                  And they're both LTO and PGO
                  Yes, but it would be bad news for Fedora to follow suit - we need GCC to remain competitive or the leading platform because the licence means it will always be available, which is a pretty important thing.

(There is a reason Apple spent $$$ getting LLVM into shape after GCC moved to GPL V3.)

Comment

Most code builds fine with -flto, but whenever I compile FFMPEG with -flto the build fails. Builds just fine without -flto

Comment

Working...
                    X