Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed Now Shipping Linux 5.8

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Now Shipping Linux 5.8

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is among the early rolling-release distributions now shipping a Linux 5.8-based kernel by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

linux 5.8 was already last week available in TW, as well as gcc 10.2 was added. They are sometimes very quick with new versions but for some other packages very slow. They also distribute some packages with code from the git repositories. The drawback with that approach is that they have to downgrade some packages afterwards. lately a little more often then before.

So, sometimes TW is really a bleeding edge release - with the problems associated with it - and sometimes they enforce better quality control and thus provide a good and stable (enough) release. I might add that the quality during the summertime - when brains are overheated? - not always optimal is.

Comment

Rocking Kernel 5.8 on my work laptop running openSUSE TW with no issue. It's such a great distro to have the latest and greatest with peace of mind. Laptop has seen weekly updates since close to 2 years now and still going strong.

Comment

I have to say that TW impresses with the stability given it is a rolling distro.
        It was the only distro that worked out of the box with my (then) new Ryzen system over a year ago and so far I had no reason to change it.
        (Of the distro's I tried ofc)
        My only minor gripe with it is it feels a little slower, especially the bootup.
        I have been a Debian/Ubuntu man for over 20 years, but SUSE is really growing on me now.
        Last edited by Raka555; 14 August 2020, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Why is openSUSE more important than Arch to Phoronix?

Comment

So do VMs stop working now?

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
              So do VMs stop working now?
              You will have to give us a bit more info. Which technology are you using for your VMs ? QEMU/kvm, xen, virtualbox, vmware etc
              I have been using LXD containers and everything is still working for me, but ofc it is not VMs.
              Last edited by Raka555; 14 August 2020, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Is it?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  I don't think it is. Arch is still on 5.7 though.

Comment

Arch and Gentoo are at 5.8.1 at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X