Ubuntu Is Looking At Offering Better WiFi Support By Using Intel's IWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Looking At Offering Better WiFi Support By Using Intel's IWD

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Looking At Offering Better WiFi Support By Using Intel's IWD

Ubuntu developers are looking at using Intel IWD as the iNET wireless daemon to potentially replace WPA_Supplicant for offering a better WiFi experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like a perfect job for you, Michael. You could graph the hell out of those benchmarks.

Comment

WHAT?? They're not going to write their own WIFI stack?

Comment

Since our honorary editor is asleep on the job again.. Michael you have IWD and WPA_Supplicant back to front here -

Ubuntu hasn't decided for sure to replace IWD with WPA_Supplicant at this time

Comment

does iwd now allow to select a specific BSSID?
          i thought it has a lot missing features

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            does iwd now allow to select a specific BSSID?
            Not sure what you mean with that.
            I've been using it for the last 6 months or so as a backend for NetworkManager and it's fine. Faster to detect/connect/reconnect to wifi.
            OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling distro, so latest versions of everything)

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
              Yeah, 2020 is weird. Canonical is acting very strange.

Comment

starshipeleven i have a router with same name for the network for both 5gh and 2ghz. with IWD i was unable to connect to a specific network (2/5 ghz). so it always connected to 2ghz due to strong signal i think.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
                  I'm curious; did writing that make you feel like you had your bias confirmed or what was the point? I'm asking a serious question, because I see people doing this all the time, in many different contexts, and I really don't understand why they do it.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Ubuntu hasn't decided for sure to replace WPA_Supplicant with IWD at this time
                    It is a typo! It was the inverse!

Comment

Working...
                    X