X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
    For me setting the BSSID in NetworkManager was also useful to prevent it from scanning every 5 minutes to see if a better signal version of my network was found
    Both IWD and wpa_supplicant provide options to disable the background scanning.

Leave a comment:

• sabian2008
    replied
    Originally posted by loganj View Post
    starshipeleven i have a router with same name for the network for both 5gh and 2ghz. with IWD i was unable to connect to a specific network (2/5 ghz). so it always connected to 2ghz due to strong signal i think.
    For me setting the BSSID in NetworkManager was also useful to prevent it from scanning every 5 minutes to see if a better signal version of my network was found (for roaming purposes). This is the only way I found to play online games without constant lag spikes, although I aknowledge that this might be network adapter dependent.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
    I'm curious; did writing that make you feel like you had your bias confirmed or what was the point?
    It's just a sarcastic way to state that Canonical has a long history of reinventing the wheel where they really should not have done that.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    starshipeleven i have a router with same name for the network for both 5gh and 2ghz. with IWD i was unable to connect to a specific network (2/5 ghz). so it always connected to 2ghz due to strong signal i think.
    Did you try tweaking the BandModifier5Ghz value in the config? https://jlk.fjfi.cvut.cz/arch/manpages/man/iwd.config.5

it should tip the scales in favor of choosing 5Ghz networks
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 August 2020, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

I'm curious; did writing that make you feel like you had your bias confirmed or what was the point? I'm asking a serious question, because I see people doing this all the time, in many different contexts, and I really don't understand why they do it.
    I think (s)he's alluding to the previous projects where Ubuntu went their own way when a viable solution already existed.
    Some examples are:
    * Bzr
    * launchpad (was a leading OSS code hosting platform at a time, but the requirement of bzr killed it for many, and hosting your own was near impossible)
    * Unity (pre-8 was pretty awesome, and actually blazed some trails)
    * Upstart
    * Mir
    * Snap

Honestly, it's not that much, but they often do them for what appears to be the wrong reasons.
    I also think their insistence in having a CLA that any contributor needs to sign killed many of their projects for them.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Many access points ((nearly?) all enterprise ones, and some of the pro-sumer models) provide a hint (band steering) about preferring 5GHz over 2.4GHz, which addresses many use cases (and not just for IWD, but for other clients).

And for IWD, there is the rank_5g_factor option which can address some other use cases.

It should be noted that IWD already gives 5GHz some preference over 2.4GHz when things are approximately equivalent, but, of course, details always matter, which is why additional control is provided (via the rank_5g_factor option).
    Last edited by CommunityMember; 12 August 2020, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Ubuntu hasn't decided for sure to replace WPA_Supplicant with IWD at this time
    It is a typo! It was the inverse!

Leave a comment:

• jo-erlend
    replied
    Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
    WHAT?? They're not going to write their own WIFI stack?
    I'm curious; did writing that make you feel like you had your bias confirmed or what was the point? I'm asking a serious question, because I see people doing this all the time, in many different contexts, and I really don't understand why they do it.

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
    WHAT?? They're not going to write their own WIFI stack?
    Yeah, 2020 is weird. Canonical is acting very strange.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X