Fedora Btrfs Activity Continues - New Options To Control Discard, Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I didn't have that impression. In the readme there are lengthy paragraphs about Windows and WSL (the Windows's "Linux userspace")

Also in the "features" list there is stuff like

Windows 10 case-sensitive directory flag

and in the changelog I find

Added more fixes for booting from Btrfs on Windows 10

Now yes it is used/available in ReactOS, but this really looks like an independent project
    As I understand Windows, it's either userspace driver on"real" Windows or it's user would have to perform "hackery" to get it working. Such drivers for working with the kernel AFAIK require cryptographic signature for you to be able to install it as is and I rather doubt independed dev(s) have that kind of money.

I am messing with BtrFS (on Slackware) at the very moment and I really hope it has improved to the degree that file system doesn't anymore die on me before first month is over.
    Last edited by aht0; 08-13-2020, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      As I understand Windows, it's either userspace driver on"real" Windows or it's user would have to perform "hackery" to get it working. Such drivers for working with the kernel AFAIK require cryptographic signature for you to be able to install it as is and I rather doubt independed dev(s) have that kind of money.
      From the install paragraph of the readme:

To install the driver, download and extract the latest release, right-click btrfs.inf, and choose Install. The driver is signed, so should work out of the box on modern versions of Windows.

For the very latest versions of Windows 10, Microsoft introduced more onerous requirements for signing, which are only available to corporations and not individuals. If this affects you (i.e. you get a signing error when trying to install the driver), try disabling Secure Boot in your BIOS settings.

This is a kernel driver (not running in userspace) and at most it requires to disable driver signature enforcement, which is doable (I disable that in VMs too so I can install KVM/QEMU guest drivers for virtual network and GPU drivers).

I am messing with BtrFS (on Slackware) at the very moment and I really hope it has improved to the degree that file system doesn't anymore die on me before first month is over.
      As long as it's using a kernel newer than 5.4 (so Slackware development branch/release) and you aren't using RAID5/6 or other exotic features it should be fine. Compression is ok afaik.

If you are thinking about using Slackware stable with kernel 4.4, forget it. Or at least don't expect a different behavior from 3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
      X