Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 8 Beta 1 Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: Mageia 8 Beta 1 Released With Many Improvements

The first beta of the forthcoming Mageia 8 is now available, the Linux distribution that traces its roots back to Mandriva/Mandrake...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Among the key package versions as of Mageia 8 Beta 1 are the Linux 5.7.9 kernel, GCC 10.1.1 compiler, RPM 4.16, KDE Plasma 5.19.3,GNOME 3.36, and Xfce 4.15.2, among many other package updates.
    (no space)

Comment

Originally posted by frank007
      For me to be indipendent for a distro is a value.
      Try Solus then. Awesome distro.

Comment

So nothing new. They implement features that most of distros use from years (zstd, armport). So another boring release imo...

Comment

Why Mageia?
          Suse has btrfs and famous control panel, Fedora has "Red Hat", but what has Mageia?
          The homepage tries to sell it as a Debian with rpm.
          Maybe I'll just load an VM and find out.

EDIT:
          Tried it in VM and didn't like it.
          Last edited by Etherman; 09 August 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
            So nothing new. They implement features that most of distros use from years (zstd, armport). So another boring release imo...
            They're keeping up with the times and trying to do a general purpose desktop OS with GUI tools to make things easy. Boring releases are to be expected.

I actually read their release notes and saw that they mention Enlightenment with IceWM right below. Just thought that was rather interesting since those don't really seem to be promoted on most mainstream Linux distributions these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
              Why Mageia?
              Suse has btrfs and famous control panel,
              Also Mageia has a "famous control panel", the Mageia Control Center.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Also Mageia has a "famous control panel", the Mageia Control Center.
                It's not good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
                  It's not good enough.
                  It does the job for a desktop system (I used it with KDE), their KDE support and their release schedule is similar to OpenSUSE Leap so you are never stuck on ancient software like with Debian or Ubuntu LTS.

It supports btrfs and they package Snapper too so you can make an OpenSUSE-like setup, and it's fine.

I mean, I'm using OpenSUSE so I won't switch, but it does tick the same boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    It does the job for a desktop system (I used it with KDE), their KDE support and their release schedule is similar to OpenSUSE Leap so you are never stuck on ancient software like with Debian or Ubuntu LTS.

It supports btrfs and they package Snapper too so you can make an OpenSUSE-like setup, and it's fine.

I mean, I'm using OpenSUSE so I won't switch, but it does tick the same boxes.
                    That's the thought I had about Mageia now and, oddly enough, back when they were Mandrake. I've never been that keen with RPMs and never really cared for RPM based distributions. Other than that, they tick off all the boxes that I'd like a desktop Linux OS to have.

I had a bad Red Hat install way back in the day, like way before Fedora even existed in the day, and that negativity around RPMs has stuck with me ever since and tainted my view towards all other RPM based distributions. Messed up thing is half my problems were with the Nvidia driver...and I bought one other Nvidia GPU before learning my lesson and switching to AMD. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had great experiences with Nvidia on Linux circa 2001.

Comment

Working...
                    X