No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS Released With The Latest Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that is a perfectly logical setup for a stable rig that isn't running the latest hardware.... If you want to run the latest or recent hardware and primarily game I would say manjaro is a better experience... I ran kubuntu 18.04 for a couple years but once I bought ryzen 3800x and a 5700xt I couldn't wait 6 months for 20.04 and running different kernels on ubuntu kinda goes against the reason for running Ubuntu LTS so I jumped to Manjaro and funny enough I think manjaro is more of a noob distro than Ubuntu to set up for gaming... No adding ppa or adding stuff in cli or updating the kernel... Steam is alreadyialready ( which is a huge pitfall for new users since they go to steam website to download it instead of using the repos) .. All the vulkan stuff ready to go without having to install any libraries and a more modern kde I was blown away... Changed my perspective... To me Ubuntu is business and Manjaro is gaming.. Of course you can tweak any distro to do anything but that's just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
      And that is a perfectly logical setup for a stable rig that isn't running the latest hardware.... If you want to run the latest or recent hardware and primarily game I would say manjaro is a better experience... I ran kubuntu 18.04 for a couple years but once I bought ryzen 3800x and a 5700xt I couldn't wait 6 months for 20.04 and running different kernels on ubuntu kinda goes against the reason for running Ubuntu LTS so I jumped to Manjaro and funny enough I think manjaro is more of a noob distro than Ubuntu to set up for gaming... No adding ppa or adding stuff in cli or updating the kernel... Steam is alreadyialready ( which is a huge pitfall for new users since they go to steam website to download it instead of using the repos) .. All the vulkan stuff ready to go without having to install any libraries and a more modern kde I was blown away... Changed my perspective... To me Ubuntu is business and Manjaro is gaming.. Of course you can tweak any distro to do anything but that's just my 2 cents
      Yeah, I got that same impression after trying Manjaro. Much more "newbie" friendly than Ubuntu/Kubuntu since you really don't have to do anything and most software not included in the install is either in the repos or in AUR (and EVERYTHING seems to be in the AUR). In Kubuntu I have to add at least one PPA (oibaf) and build a couple of programs from source. I even ran into less issues with 32/64 bit library mismatches with Manjaro. Granted I have only used it for a couple of months and have not run into any serious issues or broken OS after system-wide updates, so I have no idea how hard it is to troubleshoot big problems in Manjaro.

I still use Kubuntu mainly because I'm so used to doing things the Debian way, but I have a mind to change especially if Canonical keeps up with their brain dead ideas.
      Last edited by Melcar; 07 August 2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        JackLilhammers There’s NO reason to relicense Qt IF the upstream is Free. That’s an easy problem to solve; remove the current CLA, publish nothing but Free versions.

Debian is very much against CLA. Debian’s Qt packaging is a hot mess because only few devs want to deal with anything like this. The Debian devs decided against the CLAed Upstart around 5 years ago. Debian recently teamed up with GNOME and made Gitlab remove their CLA.
        https://about.gitlab.com/press/relea...r-license.html
        First, there are still reasons to relicense even if *your elusive upstream* is totally free, like incompatibility with GPL (eg: CDDL), or wanting to use a permissive license instead of a copyleft one, or vice versa.

Second, it seems you don't want to accept that there are several ways to work developing open source software.
        Dual licensing is one of them, and if most of your income comes from a certain piece of software is absolutely fine to make money from those who want to release closed software versions. That way you're taxing closed software and giving incentive to go open.
        Red Hat and Canonical develop a lot of software but they're are not software houses, and as such have totally different business models.
        This allows them to "give away" their code, and it's wonderful.
        Then again you can also see in their sources and tooling and documentation that code is not their primary focus. It's a tool, almost meant for internal use.
        When you go through Qt's documentation you see the difference.

Third, you're implying that Debian chose systemd because of the cla, but that's plainly not true. Yes, they did not like it, but the voting was a draw and it was decided by the chairman's vote.
        Also you are conveniently ignoring that Debian distributes plenty of software covered by clas.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Kubuntu won't update Kde because 20.04 is an LTS and so is Kde 5.18
          I don't ask them to push it on people through updates.
          I'm just asking them to put into the KDE-backports repository and from there I can install it myself.
          But they are not doing even that, which in my opinion has nothing to do with the LTS status.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I don't ask them to push it on people through updates.
            I'm just asking them to put into the KDE-backports repository and from there I can install it myself.
            But they are not doing even that, which in my opinion has nothing to do with the LTS status.
            Plasma 5.19+ needs an update to a newer QT version, which isn't LTS (and Kubuntu 20.04 is LTS). That's what I fast read on reddit post anyway.
            Last edited by Melcar; 09 August 2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
              New kernel should arrive in the future, first HWE kernel will ship with Ubuntu 20.04.2
              For newer KDE use kubuntu-ppa:
              Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa
              sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
              See, this is the problem. 144Hz won the thread, and Kubuntu is refusing to keep KDE up to date.

If KDE loses and GNOME wins then Absolute True Freedom dies completely.

Who were those 6 people?!
              Last edited by tildearrow; 12 August 2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

tildearrow Here’s some good news to you about Canonical’s latest work on Debian and Groovy Gorilla. They are already working on GNOME 3.38 beta uploads! I hope you enjoy the new Canonical fighting for True Freedom with close relations to Debian and GNOME because that’s what those 6 people probably liked as well

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...37.90-1ubuntu1
                Well if you claim GNOME is True Freedom then please let me fix my previous comment.

I meant to say Absolute True Freedom.

KDE come on, please stand up and fix some of the basic things already before GNOME catches up and we find ourselves dead in the hands of a demon who desires to possess our souls with self-proclaimed "True Freedom" in a jail of UX sadism.
                Last edited by tildearrow; 12 August 2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

JackLilhammers The committee members affiliated with Canonical voted for the CLAed Upstart. The independent committee members voted against the CLAed Upstart. That pretty much says it all. Mark Shuttleworth didn’t buy enough votes and The Community won against the CLA predator. Great day
                  The cla was only one of the arguments against Upstart.
                  If what you're saying were true, and it isn't, the Debian technical committee should have changed its name.

Comment

tildearrow Here’s some good news to you about Canonical’s latest work on Debian and Groovy Gorilla. They are already working on GNOME 3.38 beta uploads! I hope you enjoy the new Canonical fighting for True Freedom with close relations to Debian and GNOME because that’s what those 6 people probably liked as well

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...37.90-1ubuntu1
                    I'd like to know your definition of "True Freedom", please enlighten me.

Comment

Working...
                    X