Fedora 33 Making Progress With Their Btrfs-By-Default On The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 33 Making Progress With Their Btrfs-By-Default On The Desktop

Phoronix: Fedora 33 Making Progress With Their Btrfs-By-Default On The Desktop

A progress report was shared today on the work towards making the Btrfs file-system the default choice for the desktop spins of the upcoming Fedora 33...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    a lot of work still is being done to make thar a reality for the debut of F33 this autumn.

Comment

Call me when you implement the BTRFS partitioning available in OpenSUSE and when you allow adding the flags for BTRFS BEFORE installing the system and when the system allows you to use flags in fstab, as currently, the system will not start if there are any flags for btrfs in fstab .

Comment

I do not understand Redhat. They stop supporting Btrfs in their enterprise distribution but want to make it default in their community distribution…

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          I do not understand Redhat. They stop supporting Btrfs in their enterprise distribution but want to make it default in their community distribution…
          You will understand it better if you realize that Fedora while associated with Red Hat has its own process and make their own decisions. This change was largely proposed by contributors to Fedora who don't work for Red Hat. Some of them do work for large organizations like Facebook which uses Fedora and Btrfs in large scale and have an interest in seeing it used widely

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

You will understand it better if you realize that Fedora while associated with Red Hat has its own process and make their own decisions. This change was largely proposed by contributors to Fedora who don't work for Red Hat. Some of them do work for large organizations like Facebook which uses Fedora and Btrfs in large scale and have an interest in seeing it used widely
            I know this proposition does not come from Redhat, but I did not know that Fedora was independent enough to take decisions opposed to those of Redhat.

Comment

hopefully btrfs makes the final cut,

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                Call me when you implement the BTRFS partitioning available in OpenSUSE and when you allow adding the flags for BTRFS BEFORE installing the system and when the system allows you to use flags in fstab, as currently, the system will not start if there are any flags for btrfs in fstab .
                What sort of "flags" in /etc/fstab are you thinking of? I use btrfs on most of my Fedora systems and all of them have various flags. My entry for "/" has a subvol=root,noatime setting, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

What sort of "flags" in /etc/fstab are you thinking of? I use btrfs on most of my Fedora systems and all of them have various flags. My entry for "/" has a subvol=root,noatime setting, for example.
                  I think he was strictly referring to OpenSUSE installer.

Comment

I really hope there's a way to set compression since the very beginning (with Anaconda), so you don't have to compress everything AFTER the installation.

Comment

Working...
                    X