Fedora 33 Making Progress With Their Btrfs-By-Default On The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    I do not understand Redhat. They stop supporting Btrfs in their enterprise distribution but want to make it default in their community distribution…
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    I know this proposition does not come from Redhat, but I did not know that Fedora was independent enough to take decisions opposed to those of Redhat.
    I don't think that there is a conflict between RedHat and Fedora. The RedHat decision was taken few years ago. In the meantime BTRFS is stabilized, and the adoption of BTRFS from Suse helped the Fedora decision. Pay attention that BTRFS is a default which can be override at installation time.

Moreover take in consideration that RedHat and Fedora have different target: the former has a "conservative" target, which is more open to a more stable filesystem (like xfs or ext4) . The latter has a target more open to the innovation, even if it is less stable. Often Fedora seems to be the technology preview for RedHat. It can be viewed as test bench for feature which *could* be adopted in RedHat. If BTRFS will not satisfy the Fedora users, it can be dropped and RedHat will not take the risk of a "epic fail".

It has to be pointed out that In the meantime, RedHat started the development of stratis; however I think that if you requires to stratis features like quota+snapshot+lwn+shrinking of a volume+raid, you will ends to performance even slower than BTRFS. So I don't think that stratis is (nor will) be a full replacement of BTRFS.
    What it is strange to me is that RedHat didn't pushed stratis on Fedora; this could be a good benchmark for this technology.

Comment

Originally posted by kreijack View Post

I don't think that there is a conflict between RedHat and Fedora. The RedHat decision was taken few years ago. In the meantime BTRFS is stabilized, and the adoption of BTRFS from Suse helped the Fedora decision. Pay attention that BTRFS is a default which can be override at installation time.

Moreover take in consideration that RedHat and Fedora have different target: the former has a "conservative" target, which is more open to a more stable filesystem (like xfs or ext4) . The latter has a target more open to the innovation, even if it is less stable. Often Fedora seems to be the technology preview for RedHat. It can be viewed as test bench for feature which *could* be adopted in RedHat. If BTRFS will not satisfy the Fedora users, it can be dropped and RedHat will not take the risk of a "epic fail".

It has to be pointed out that In the meantime, RedHat started the development of stratis; however I think that if you requires to stratis features like quota+snapshot+lwn+shrinking of a volume+raid, you will ends to performance even slower than BTRFS. So I don't think that stratis is (nor will) be a full replacement of BTRFS.
      What it is strange to me is that RedHat didn't pushed stratis on Fedora; this could be a good benchmark for this technology.
      The way I see it, Fedora's adoption of btrfs is a commitment from the dev team to work on making it more stable. This is the closest we'll get for now to Red Hat reconsidering their decision. Fedora pulled it off before with adopting Wayland and Gnome 3. It will be a huge success story if Fedora keeps btrfs and it spreads to other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by kreijack View Post

This isn't really surprising. Fedora is a lot more popular on the workstation type of environment and while Fedora server does exist and more closely reflects RHEL, this difference does drive some changes one way or the other. Fedora workstation for instance continues to use Ext4 and has shifted to Xfs like RHEL has. Stratis is squared targeted at solving enterprise use cases which aren't all that appealing to majority of Fedora users. It is available and users can opt-in and that's pretty much it

Comment

Working...
        X